2018.08.28 - Day #110 - Getting back to 30s and the damned feet again

To PCT mile 2374.9 (stats here).

It was cold when I woke up to the alarm at 5:30am and also a bit dark. It was not wet at all but I still felt discouraged and continued sleeping. I only got up 7am, and realised that the trees blocked the sun and made it feel colder than it actually was. I only got to hiking at 8am. Not reasonable to camp deep under the canopy as the sun does not help you to get up.

The clouds just a memory now, Rainy my friend.

I was a bit annoyed about my late start and decided to have a fast pace and only have breaks every 2.5 hours. I got a decent 3 mph pace but the hurting of my ankles and/or tops of the feet had intensified from the previous day, especially when going down. As my hiking and progression has been so slow already for a long time, I did not want to pay attention and kept going. The goal was to be in Snoqualmie the next day, meaning doing 30 miles today and 20 the next.

Lately, the most common animal I have seen on trail. In addition to the asses of elk.

I did not meet that many other people during the day. I met Bird who I met on the early days of the trail. She had a stress fracture in Northern California, and now after a months break, continued first going south bound. It was good to see her and hear that she had not given up. A bit later I met with Street Fighter, who was struggling with her hip. I gave her some ibuprofein. I kept leapfrogging with her for some time as we had our breaks at different times.

The trail today was just going up and down, all the time. There was no even stretches. The views were pretty dull, and as the day got further, I needed to concentrate more and more managing the pain in my feet. My determination of doing 30 miles surely did not help.

It is starting to get dark earlier and earlier. I aimed to camp next to powerlines where a Guthook comment said would be a flat spot to camp. I could not find it in the darkening evening so I ended up hiking some more. The next road was supposed to have a suitable spot nearby as well. I could not find it either, just a gross area with full of toilet paper. I started to follow a small path uphill to see if there would be something. There was an outline of a tent, so I stopped and reduced the brightness of my headlamp. The person inside, Jace, was still awake and welcomed me to camp there. He is doing a two year bike tour, from Alaska to Argentina. We had a nice chat before I put my head down in my cowboy camp.

My camp buddy for the night. Next to me, his bike (not in picture).

I did 30 miles again since a long time, but my feet did not like it. Lets see what tomorrow brings.

Comments