2018.08.23 - Day #105 - Beaty and chilly

To PCT mile 2275.2 (stats here).

The night was chilly so it is time to be fully inside the sleeping bag again. I did not feel like getting up early so that happened only at 6:20am. Others in the camp were slow movers too. I got going 7:20am.

The leg feels relatively good. Paying a little attention to the ankle and with good terrain I can go normally. The terrain was easy so I had a good pace. The surroundings were grand as the smoke had almost cleared. You could see the snowy Mount Adams and other smaller mountains. The contrast again lush green forests made these all the more majestic.

I met Sticky Fingers and Brown Streak at my first break. They were accompanied by Stickys dad, who brought them back on trail after spending an evening of eating steaks at their caravan. I was offered an ice tea soda named after Arnold Palmer. Their dog was a nice being to play with during the break.

Absolutely stunning views today.

The day was enjoyable and my pace good so I decided to do 30 miles and get to White Pass already the next day. During the day, after the first break, I did not see any other north bound hikers. There were few south bounders. This makes the nature experience stronger. I quite like it.

... but Mom told me to always hunt for my dreams.

The day ended with a climb to an Indian Reservation area with some stunning views. The surroundings became arid as there were no trees anymore. The elevation was only a bit more than 6000 feet but there was the feeling of Sierras. It surely was chilly and the night surely would be cold as well. I am starting to think if I have enough clothes for the rest of the trail. Should I ask Mikko to send my puff jacket back to me?

A terrible place for a camp, really

I first thought about climbing all the way to the peak to setup my camp, but as the time was approaching 8pm and it was getting really cold, I decided to camp at an earlier place. My mileage was just 30 miles. I went past a patch of trees that had lots of hikers having their camp among thems. I carried onwards and settled for an exposed spot that had a sand bottom. There was also a decent place on grass just next to it, but it was not that even. I settled for the sand. There were lots of dark clouds looming in the sky and the wind blew fog towards the mountains, so I did not have the guts to cowboy camp. I setup my tarp and wondered how cold it would be. While having my dinner, it was already so cold that my fingers grew numb and it was hard to eat. It is gonna be exciting night.  

Comments