2018.08.15 - Day #97 - You should not wreck the leg

To PCT mile 2115.6 (stats here).

I woke up to the alarm 5am, but decided to continue sleeping and take the later bus. I should not try to do any big miles anyway, so more rest is better. It is stupid to continue this soon to begin with, but I just cannot stay put. A part of me wants to finish this hike already.

Getting back on trail.

I went down to have some oatmeal for breakfast. Simo gave me some stretching instructions over the Internet and after that I finalized packing my bag. Alan or Blaine where nowhere to be seen so I could not say bye. I continued to the busstop. The bus was some 15 minutes late, but I was not exactly in a hurry.

At Timberlane Lodge, I saw a bunch of familiar hikers. Most of them were there for the famous breakfast buffet. I've heard that for a vegetarian it is not that great (and even worse for a vegan), but for a carnivore the 18 dollars buys a lot. I saw Nemo, Vortex and Facepalm among others. It was not before 10:30am that I started hiking.

The most stylish man on trail and some trashy dude with fake smile.

I took it really easy, doing 2.1 mph in average. The leg did not give too much trouble as I did not push it. I felt the problem area all the time, but there was no intense pain. Going down was harder. The trail was mostly going downhill but contrary on what was advertised, it was not that steep or hard.

There was a lot of south bound hikers. I only met few north bounders, one of them being Snail. I kept leap frogging him as he kept a relaxed pace in order not to be too early for the PCT Days in Cascade Locks.

Glad to something else than walls for a change.

I did not plan the day or the camping from early on. There was no point as I did not know how the leg holds up. Around five o'clock I checked what is the situation with camp sites and water sources. They were not located that well for me. I needed water so I opted to skip few tent sites and head for the next water source and then check if there is any proper places near it. Often people have made small camp spots near a water source, big enough at least for cowboy camping. There were few such spots here as well, but they were taken. I was on a hillside so the prospects were not good. Luckily, I needed to walk only a mile more and for a while, the terrain flattened and there was a perfect camp spot with a fire ring. I was glad I did not try to squeeze myself in near the water source.

All in all, I was happy about the day. The leg did not give overwhelming trouble. It did not get any better either, though. I ended up doing only 19 miles. But that it is enough to get me to Cascade Locks for the PCT Days.

Comments