2018.07.28 - Day #79 - Back to the grind

To PCT mile 1741.1 (stats here).

This time, I did not sleep well. I ate way too much. I slept past my alarm and only got up 6:45am. There would be no time for the blog as we agreed to leave 7:45am. I went and had some salad for breakfast, left the rest for others to consume, talked to other people and then got my stuff ready. I felt stupid to leave so hastily as the feet were still hurting and the blog was left without updating. Away is still went.

Walking out of Ashland.

First I got a ride to a different trail head than I used to come into town. As I want to do the continuous footpath thing, I asked if I could get to the another. No problem in this. There I saw Magic, who was on his way to town. After I started hiking, I saw some new hiker faces. Among these were Pants, the first Swedish hiker I have seen on trail. Was about a time. We shared few words at a trail magic spot, a small box full of cherry soda and rootbeer and some mud cakes. As awesome trail magic is in general, this did not make me jump in joy as I was still full and would need to get some miles done.

I was able to start hiking around 9am. The weather was already hot, my feet were hurting and I had no motivation at all. I had not emptied the blisters properly and would need to do it again later today. In addition, the left ankle was stiff and giving trouble on every step. Otherwise the shoes felt good. The day was a slow grind of just doing some miles. I resolved in my mind to hit the 20, no matter what.

There were views but the troubles prevented me of enjoying them.

As I was moving slowly, I did not consume much water. It seems that the beginning of Oregon is dry. Even with the green forests, there are not that many water sources. As I did not drink, I skipped most of the few that I went past. During the day, I did not meet many other hikers. One that kept seeing was a Swiss, Candyman. It was fun to talk with him.

Ah, the smoke.

When the day was nearing to an end, I met Candyman on my final break. He was about to take a shortcut via a dirt road. The trail crossed the road, made a loop and the crossed the road again. I decided to stick with the trail. As it started to become dark, I cursed this decision. I would have saved an hour, saved my feet and still would have had the continuos footpath thing. I needed to get to the next water source as I had almost no water with me. I arrived to the creek a bit before 10pm, and set up my cowboy camp. I was too tired to do anything with my feet so I thought I would just sleep in the next morning.

Comments