2018.08.01 - Day #83 - An easy day

To PCT mile 1865.9 (stats here).

I did not sleep that well. I was a bit worried that the nosy deer would take my hiking poles, eventhough I did secure them a bit by putting big rocks on their sides. I had forgotten the intention to see the sunrise on Crater Lake and only got up 5:15am. I was underway 6:15am and hurried. Old Timer woke up about the same time but was already gone.

It was a bit cold so I utilised my wind jacket. As I was at Crater Lake, the visibility was blocked fully by smoke. I was glad that I was able to see the lake properly on the previous day. The trail followed the lake for a long time but you could see almost nothing.

Not the best views with the smoke.

Today the hiking was easy as it was mostly on even ground or downhill. I made good progress even as I did not push it. I listened the audiobook of Kaku and was able to finish it. It seems that I have developed now a hiking routine that the first 2 hours I hike without audio, then after that I listen an audiobook for an hour, followed byh 1 hour of music, repeating this untill I get my 10 hours. Today, I started to listen the Three Body Problem which has been on my reading queue forever.

Now that I will have more food than I feel that I actually need, I have determined to start eating more. The boxes that Mikko and Susanna will be sending me contain food for about six days, whereas the time between resupplies averages in 3 days. Today I did two servings of breakfast, and ate more bars than before. My coffee-chocolate mix still continues to work. After having it, I have tons of energy to hike.

I did not see that many people during the day. It seems that hikers have really thinned out. I did see Cataclysm that I have not seen in ages. I would have thought that she is a long way behind, but it is true that it is hard to judge peoples hiking speed by appearances. I also saw No Man who I saw the first time way back in Touloumne Meadows. Even as I saw him only once, he is a memorable fellow, a counterpart for Yes Man that I have not seen on trail.

Water caches once again. Not seen these since the beginnings desert.

My feet feel pretty good now. The blisters are not giving trouble and it seems my pace is where it was before doing the stupid choice with the shoes. For a camping site, I decided to aim to go for a lake that was a bit off trail. I usually settle for camp sites that are directly on trail.

Getting water from a creek is nicer than from a bottle.

I have now settled for the mentality that I do not carry water more than necessary, and if there is a water source at my target camp site, I go there without any. This is a good motivation to actually get there. Today, I was a bit late to arrive at the lake, as it was already 8pm. But the site was gorgeous and I felt it was worth it. I set up my bugnet, washed my legs and face and did some stretching and massaging by the lake while waiting for my cold soaked food to be ready. All in all, the day was a good one.

Comments