2018.08.20 - Day #102 - Finding some groove

To PCT mile 2205.3 (stats here).

I slept well. The sound of the creek and the good campsite helped with that. I got up 6am and got moving 7am. Noncharacterically, I needed to take a dump before starting hiking. While doing this, I noticed that the area around the creek was littered with toilet paper. Guthook told that the place is popular among local day hikers, so no wonder.

Ah, what a sight to greet you in the morning.

The first 6 miles of the hiking were on flat ground. The leg felt good so I was able to have a good pace, almost as high as I used to have before the problems. The weather helped also as it was smoggy and therefore cool. The sun was looming as a red ball in the sky. There was a trail magic box before my first break, which contained snack bars and bananas. I had plenty of food so I settled for a bar.

After the easy beginning there was a 3000 feet ascend, which would be followed soon with a 1500 feet ascend. These were nothing too bad as the grade was gentle. Going up under the canopy felt good, especially as it is easier for the leg. After a while, few hikers that I met at the PCT Days went past me. First I did not try to match the speed, but then I decided not to let them disappear in the distance either. I was able to match their speed without the leg hurting which was good.

The vegetation seems lush and a bit tempered.

After a while, I noticed a familiar female hiker having a break and playing with her phone. I also stopped and checked the reception. As there was mobile coverage, I spent few moments to send some messages and check the opening hours of Trout Lake post office. They were relatively good and I planned getting there already the next day.

As I was making good progess, I planned my camp place to be a lake after 28 miles of hiking. It seems that getting back to the 30 mile days is not impossible. Hopefully I am not too greedy and wreck the leg before it is truly better. Before getting to the campsite, there was a trailhead with another trail magic box. Being late in the day, it was almost empty. Day hikers that were there had put their surplus stuff in there, though. I helped myself with some single serving coffee and a self-heating vegetarian meal.

A good place to camp!

The camp site was beautiful. You could not camp right at the lake, but I found a nice spot a bit higher. Soon after, the woman I encountered earlier, Avatar, joined. Later two brothers followed. The self-heating meal was a joke. The serving size was tiny and the amount of litter weighted three times more than of the food.

The joint dinner was an unusual event for me as we had our dinners together around the firering. This made the day a bit long. I was at the campsite already 7:50pm but went to sleep a bit past 10pm.


Comments