2018.08.06 - #Day 88 - Changing Sisters to Bend

To PCT mile 2000.9 (stats here).

I woke up 5:30am. We slept at a sandy volleyball field, which was surrounded by water. This meant that all my stuff was damp. More damp than they have been at any point during the trail. My ground cloth was also very sandy, which was an annoyance.

Happy hikers enjoying Christian hospitality.

I went to the hiker building and started to make some coffee. I wanted to start catching up the blog before the breakfast. Other people started to wake up and I got to chat with a nice section hiking couple from Corvallis. They invited me to meet them when I eventually get back to Corvallis at Mikko's and Susanna's place.

Bandit repeated his offer about the trail angels at Bend. I thought about this a while and as it sounded really good, and fit my schedule, I asked if I could join him. Also Raider was joining him. Bandit asked the angels and they happily agreed to host also us.

Some relatively big numbers!

It was only 5 miles to the highway and trailhead from where the angels would pick us up. I somehow got distracted and ate too much, so that 5 miles were pretty hard, following Raider. The terrain was easy but my stomach was extra acidy. It takes the whole 2600 mile trail for me to learn how to eat, apparently.

The trail angels were Dana and Sue, a retired couple that are planning on taking the JMT trail the following year. They are a super nice and relaxed couple, and they took us first to Sisters where I got my resupply package from a hiker store, and Raider his from a post office. From there, we continued to REI where Bandit was about to buy new shoes. As they did not have them, we continued to a running shoe where he had better luck. Then, we headed for lunch. The beer at the place was really good, a Terminator Stout, but the salad was a bit expensive for its size.

Our trail angels on the right. What amazing bunch of people. What a great community.

After that, we went to Fred Meyers to buy some groceries. The other groceries needed to do their resupply and I settled to buy some sweets and ice cream. I ended up buying too much as there was no exercise for the day almost at all, and Dana and Sue were kind to make us dinner.

I had my original large resupply box from Sisters. Once again, I was forced to conclude that there were way too much stuff in it. I estimate that it contains 5 or 6 days worth of food, as I only need for 3 days. And I still had some food left, as I got two meals at the Youth Camp. Weighting myself at Sue and Dana's revealed that either the earlier scales have been lying a lot, or I have gained weight. My weight is supposedly 78kg, so only 3kg less than when starting the hike.

The day was absolutely great. We had nice talks with Bandit, Raider, Sue and Dana. Our hosts were very interested about hiking related stuff and especially Bandit had lot to say. I was enjoying myself and the spaghetti dinner was really good. What was sad that all this meant I had not time to do the blog. Determined to do this, I stayed up really late, all the way up 12:30am, and still could not finish everything. I was determined to get up early so that I would not fall behind completely. But this will mean that I will be dead tired the following day. Let's see how it goes. 

Comments