2018.08.27 - Day #109 - Some sun for a change

To PCT mile 2343.1 (stats here).

The bed was swell and I felt good about how the previous day turned out to be, but my sleep was restless. I woke up every now and then. I got up 6am to have some coffee with Eli and Dianne. I had my usual oatmeal mix as breakfast. We had nice conversations before Eli left for work. After that I set up my gear, dried out and cleaned the tarp and groundsheet. After being cloudy in the morning, the sun came out and it seemed to be a beautiful day. Dianne kindly donated me a large waste bag that I used as a liner to protect my stuff from further rain.

What an amazing view from Diannes home.

Dianne gave me a ride back to trailhead during her lunchbreak and I was there 11:30am. Vertigo was still there doing trail magic and I chatted about him how things went. Mochi came to enjoy a soda as well. I started hiking around 12pm and kept a relaxed pace, enjoying the clear and sunny, although cold weather. I was feeling a slight pain on both of my ankles, or maybe more on the topsides of my feet, but thought that it was mostly because the previous day I did not keep breaks or do any maintanence. I would need to get back on having normal breaks and stretching.

Finally some visibility. Mt Rainier, I got to see you!

The hiking was nice. The views were astonishing now that the clouds had cleared. You could see Mt. Rainier and other rugged mountain ridges. As I was not that far away from Chinook Pass, which is a major trailhead, there were lots of day hikers. They thinned out eventually as you got further away. I kept leap frogging with Mochi who took more breaks than I did.

Looks like autumn. But sadly the trees are just burnt.

I did not check where to camp until around 5pm. I noticed that the cabin I dreamed about the previous day would have been within reachable distance if I would have one hour more to hike, but I did want to make camp way before dark today. It felt that without the sun it would be really cold and I wanted to have proper sleep tonight. In the end, it was 4 miles to the cabin when I settled for my camp. Just to be sure, I put up the tarp as my camp site was deep in the woods and moisture might be an issue. I did not want my stuff wet again.

Comments

Post a Comment