2018.08.04 - Day #86 - The biggest day

To PCT mile 1966.5 (stats here).

The night was cold again. I delayed getting up, and was underway not only 6:30am. Butterfly was just getting up. I started fast as it was still cold. Just after half a mile, there was a big sign for trail magic. I turned from the trail and checked out the place, but the angels were still sleeping in their tents. I was not too sad about this as without any hiking behind you it would be a terrible idea to eat and treat yourself without having burned any calories.

It was a nice place to camp.

The day was really thin of hikers. I only saw Butterfly and previously unfamiliar female hiker, Dragon. When I needed to take a dump, they both caught up with me. For the first time it happened that I strayed a bit too far away when trying to find a proper place for my deposit. When getting back to my backpack, it took me a while to find it. The surroundings looked the same everywhere, and I had real trouble. Note to myself, do not get that far away from your gear.

In paper, days terrain seemed to be pretty easy. From early on, I played with the idea to get to Sisters in two days, stopping at a Christian Youth Camp on the way for the night before. That would mean doing 72 miles in two days. I delayed of making the actual decision for this after I would have a swim. There were still lots of lakes and the previous day I did not have a swim. Having a swim was a must.

It was a great swim in this lake!

I had a nice swim in a great lake. This made me feel so good that I decided to finish the day at a camp site that was just on a 40 mile marker. After the break, I kept a good pace. The pace was interrupted around 6:30pm when surprisingly the famous trail angel, Coppertone, was found just before a steep climb. He had hiked a mile from a trailhead to provide some trail magic. He was just about to leave, so I was lucky to meet him. He had only met with 6 hikers this day, which kind of confirmed my observation that there were not that many hikers at the section today. I ate two bananas, some cookies and donuts. Because of this, I was not able to drink my prepared coffee chocolate mix that I had prepared for the upcoming final climb.

... and some more lakes. For drinking purposes, not as good as creeks that obviously have colder water.

Having food in my stomach and not the energizing mix, the ascend was hard. At this point I was already determined to do the 40 miles. The location of the next tent sites and water sources strenghtened the decision. I needed to get there. All this meant that I was at my intended tent site not before 11pm. Unluckily, it was already occupied by people, and as it was dark, I did not want to stay there and set up a camp.  That would wake people up. I continued to the next one. There was a pond a mile after.

The same happened at the pond, but this time I did not want to continue so I kept looking for a place where I could cowboy camp. Finally I found it. I had done almost 42 miles, but the time was now 11:30pm. This was way too late. I would not have enough sleep to do the remaining 30 miles to the Big Lake Youth Camp in good strength.

Comments