2018.08.22 - Day #104 - A nice day out of a nice town

To PCT mile 2244.3 (stats here).

I slept well in the camper. I got up 5:30am but felt like I could sleep longer. It was pretty chilly so I needed to put on my wind gear. First time since the Sierras that it has felt this cold.

I went and got some hot water for coffee from the house and then started catching up with the blog. I ordered new pair of shoes from 2 Feet Adventures. This would be my last pair of shoes for the trail. The lady said that they would be delivered the next day to White Pass. While I was getting a second cup of hot water, I encountered Joanna who was up and enjoying the morning. She made me a proper cup of coffee and said it was okay for me to stay until noon.

The time flies when you are messaging and browsing the Internet. I went to the general store a bit past noon and encountered lot of familiar hikers. Bearcan was there, as well as Mango and Groove. I started to go through the trail angel list in order to get a ride to the trailhead. No luck. Finally I just went to the road and started hitching. It took maybe 15 minutes and a couple going to kayaking picked me up.

The sun set at an eerie place.

At the trailhead there was a family that I started to chat with. The guy was getting back on trail and his parents were helping him by providing resupply along the trail. Quite convenient to have your own on-trail resupply team. Seeing them handling money I remembered that I did not check for an ATM in Trout Lake, and as I am running low in cash, I cursed myself aloud. This was a mistake, because the lady then insisted me of taking 20 dollars just in case. There was no use of trying to decline her offer. People along the trail are generous indeed.

Not that many creek crossings lately. Looked sketchy but stayed dry!

I started hiking around 2pm. I did not have any particular goal and kept a relaxed pace. The weather was nice and the terrain easy uphill. Mount Adams could be seen with good visibility every now and then. Later I decided that I would get to a camp spot at 15 mile marker that Guthook praised. The views were pretty along the way. I did not see other hikers during the 15 miles which I found relaxing. It was certain that my targeted camp site would have many hikers and indeed this turned out to be the case.

An awesome camp spot just a bit below here.

The camp site was awesome. There was a waterfall nearby, and you had unobstructed view of Mount Adams. There was almost a full moon near the peak. I set up my tarp next to Bibles tent, as I thought that the meadow might attract moisture during the night. As the night progressed, it became more cold and I needed to have my dinner inside the sleeping bag. A fine day.

Comments