2018.08.10 - Day #92 - Little help affects a lot

To PCT mile 2081.9 (stats here).

I had the alarm set but chose to ignore it to give the leg a rest. I got up 5:45am and started to sew my shirt. It has served really well, over 2000 miles already, but it is finally breaking down. The previous day it ripped from the back, from side to side. I've had the habbit of lifting it up from the collar when having the backpack on, what obviously puts lots of stress on it. I used the thick Zpacks thread for sewing, which was not ideal but worked. I should get a new shirt soon.

Different groove with the trail signs here near Washington.

I ate few ibuprofeins and started walking. In no time, Lost Boy, Early Bird and others passed me. Lost Boy gave me more ibuprofein. Maybe winners do not use drugs, but idiots do. I was happy to accept.

The pain was there but manageable. I came to my first planned stop for water after 6 miles and was happy to notice that there were lots of familiar hikers. I got some more tips for stretching. Butterfly arrived at the spot soon after. As my pace has been low now 4 days, he was able to catch up.

I started the hiking after the break without taking more painkillers. It seems that the effect lasts from 2 to 3 hours, as the pain intensified again. I resolved on having my second break on the usual 4h marker and just concentrated to biting my teeth.

After 4 hours, I did not wait for any even or nice spot for the break but just went in the bush and made some space among the branches.  It was time for chocolate coffee. Which meant that short after it was time to take a dump as well. While conducting the business, I heard a weird noise. Some animals near by? After a while, I realised that it was a half collapsed tree trunk leaning against another. If it would fall, it would fall right on me. I imagined the sight. What a way to leave this world, getting hit by a falling tree, all covered in shit, pants pulled down.

The break was a huge relief. I felt much better and was able to hike again. The terrain was easy and I kept thinking that I could easily do 40 mile days here if without trouble. But then again, it is easier to manage the pain here as well. At one point, I noticed that there is cell coverage so I sent Mikko a message if he could send me a new shirt and my compression socks to Cascade Locks. He was right into doing it.

My super nice personal trail angels at the horse camp.

I decided to take my next break on a horse camp. It would have picnic tables and pit toilets. Once I arrived there after 6 hours of hiking, I noticed that it was full of people with their trailers and horses. A real horse camp indeed. I lifted my legs on a table and got water from a spigot. After a while, a woman named Linda came to talk to me. She was a nurse so she got lots of advice, and she also rubbed some pain relief cream to my feet. She also gave me more painkillers, and her family gave me a soda and some fruit. I did not know that there are apple-shaped cucumbers. Trail magic!

Some of the trail magic I got, all nicely wrapped up.

The day was good, even with the pain. I met nice people and was able to get help to my problems. It seemed that I was able to do the 20 miles so the plan was working. At the end of the day, I came by a big lake, called Thomas Lake. The trail went along it. I stopped and had a swim as it was not too late.

Spending time at the horse camp and dipping in the lake meant that I needed to hike until late to get the 20 miles done. I passed a dirt road that had enough space to camp, but after hesitating I chose to continue. Immediately I regretted this as it was still 1.5 miles for the next possible spot. The pain got more intense and it was completely dark. Finally, I got there. On the positive side, there were no other hikers and it was now only 15 miles to Timberlane.

Comments