2018.07.24 - Day #75 - Sometimes it is just not fun

To mile 1666 (stats here).

I did not feel that enthuastic to get up. The difficult previous day and the possible shoe problems weighted in my mind. I got up 5:30am and moving 6:15am. It was only 10 miles downhill to Seiad Valley.

Near from where I camped. Supposedly the area was full of poison oak.

I had eaten a lot the previous evening and the minute I got moving, I had a huge urge to take a dump. The area was difficult for such purpose, and I needed to do some climbing to get to a suitable spot. As the area was reportedly full of poison oak, I needed to be careful. I still do not know exactly how this plant looks like.

Once I got rid of the extra load, I tried to keep a good pace. This proved impossible as the ankle was still hurting, and the blisters in the heels were now bigger. Going down intesified the pain. Going up was easier.

Once I got down to the camping ground, I met with a young hiker from Australia. He departed while I took my first break. Soon after, Omri from Israel arrived. He was the guy from previous evening, camping near the bridge where I tried to first go. We hiked together the remaining 6 miles along the paved road to Seiad Valley. It was fun talking with him, especially as it distracted me from the pain and just made the tedious roadside walking more bearable. Although we went too fast for my condition, and because this the pain got stronger.

Seiad Valley is just few buildings, including a post office and a cafe. We went in the cafe and joined the Australian hiker and another hiker, Naturalist. I had an omelette, a soda and a milkshake. Sharing a table with others made it impossible to catch up with the blog, but it was fun and worth it. It was stupid to eat, though, as I had more food than required in my backpack to get me to the next resupply location.

Having breakfast in Seiad Valley with an Australian, Israelian and American. No-one took part on the pancake challenge.

It was only some 36 miles from Seiad Valley to the California - Oregon border. Right after that, the trail is closed as the fires are raging. At Seiad, we were able to confirm that the detour around that area is still valid and you can continue the hike. In an American fashion, the Forest Service does not recommend this, but advises hikers to skip the section by taking a bus. Most of the hikers still walk as the continuos footpath approach is in peoples minds.

I sent my camera to Susanna and Mikko through mail in Seiad Valley. It had just stopped working this morning and would not turn on. The previous night I spilled my water bottle over my foam matress, but was sure that no electronics got wet. Maybe I was wrong. Sony RX100 is famous of being very sensitive to moisture. In any case, I was not willing to carry something that does not work. I also sent my cooler gloves and my compression socks away. It was time to get even more light.

I left 5pm from Seiad Valley with Omri, Naturalist and Popcorn. With my feet, I was the slowest and let the others go without trying to keep up. In paper, the ascend was horrible.  5500 feet in 10 miles. As I just kept concentrating on managing the pain, the heat and the whole trail did not pertain my mind that much. Not saying that it was fun, but in hindsight, it could have been much worse.

The section was very dry. Because of my problems, I failed to register this and eventually were in a situation where I had only 1 litre of water and no way to get to a water source unless continuing past the midnight. I decided that I will stop 10pm on a spot that is still some way from a water source, with only 2 desileters of water left. I had drank plenty during the day, so I felt that this was no problem. Especially as I decided to skip proper dinner again, and settle for bars and nuts. Usually I drink 1L of water before going into bed. Now I settled for 1 DL.

All in all, this was a shitty day.

Dramatic views to reflect the mind.

Comments