2018.07.25 - Day #76 - Change of states

To PCT mile 1693.5 (stats here).

The previous day was so exhausting that I did not bother to put my alarm on. I decided to sleep as long as I felt. A reasonable approach in that sense that maybe the feet would recover a bit as well. Also my other heel had a blister in it. Damn shoes. Damn me. Do not change what works.

I got up 6:15am. I saw Aston travelling the trail in the distance. I got moving 7:05am which is one of the latest time I have started while starting from the trail. Before continuing, I noticed that Popcorn had camped at the same spot. A deer had stolen one of her hiking poles. They are interested on the salt that is found in the hand grips. She was not too bothered about this and said that she would start hiking soon after checking the perimeter, if the pole could be found.

Take it easy and enjoy the views.

I decided that I would just walk slowly the whole day and see if that would take me into Oregon. I doubted this as there was still 27 miles left. I was surprised that my mood was rather relaxed and ok now that I needed to go slow. I was able to concentrate on listening audio books and I started even a new one. Seems to be the case that if I go fast, this is too much for my brain to do anything else.

Looks a bit intimidating but when going slow, no problem.

During my second break, I met with Popcorn and a hiker who was travelling with his dog. The man-dog combo was only moving during the night as it is way too hot for dogs to do day time hiking. Otherwise, the miles went unnoticiable, although slowly, while listening to books and music. I was surprised to notice that my pace was still about 2.5 mph, eventhough it felt more like 2 mph. This made me to decide that I will get to Oregon, even as this would mean yet again a late finish.

I was at the Oregon border around 8pm. Somebody had left some bourbon in the trail register, and after contemplating over it a bit, I took a sip. You got to celebrate the landmark somehow. It was still 2.5 miles to the camping spot I had decided upon after all, so some alcohol would make the rest of the hike more interesting.

One state done, two to go.

I arrived to the 1 tent camping spot around 9:30pm. There were already 2 tents and the people soundly asleep. I checked the area properly for once and found that the best place for a tent was actually a bit deeper in the forest. I was happy to set up my cowboy camp on a soft soil, under the trees. The next day would contain the tedious road walk around the fire closure, so having at least a good camp spot was nice.

Comments