2018.07.29 - Day #80 - It is still the feet

To PCT mile 1767.2 (stats here).

As the previous evening was hard, I did not have alarm. I woke up 6am, and got hiking at 7:10am. Before going, I puctured the blisters again, now properly draining all the liquid out of them. I also talked with Butterfly, a hiker from Czech Rebuplic who camped at the same spot.

Some varied terrain today. Not exciting, but varied.

I took it slowly in order not to trouble the feet too much. While going slowly, it is easier to listen audio books. I listened the Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku. When going faster, you need to concentrate on the surroundings more and end up missing on what is said.

Early, I met with another Danish hiker, Boss. I saw also the Australian, Butterfly Kisses and kept leap frogging with Butterfly. Just before my second break, there was a mini trail magic when I saw two cans of soda on the side of the trail. I took the ginger ale and left the dr. pepper that Boss would soon after grab. Sitting on side of a road made a cyclist to stop by and chat. He was John, and donated us a cliff bar to split. One more person who hated Trup, and we had a fun conversation.

It seems that here in Oregon there is a pretty good reception for AT&T. Almost during every break I was able to send some messages to friends and family. The terrain for hiking was easy and I was positively surprised that I could keep a good humour. My pace was low, and there was not that much to see as the smoke prevented good visibility.

At the final water source, which was an old fashioned water pump by an emergency shelter, I met again with all the hiker faces I saw during the day. Also Candyman joined the party. There was still some 4 miles to be done before making the camp. This time I was determined to be at camp before dark.

A different kind of water source.

The last 4 miles were rocky. While getting back to the forestry scenary, I noticed a huge figure moving on the trail. It turned out to be a big black cow. Once it saw me, it panicked and started to run along the trail. It was not the smartest of the pack as it just kept running on the trail for god knows how far, shitting the trail as it went. It is amazing how much shit a cow can contain. It made an evenings exercise, avoid the cow shit all the way to the camp.

Luckily there was a relatively rock free path through all these fields.

I was at the camp a bit before 8pm. I was happy about this and as it seemed that there are not that many mosquitos, decided to cowboy camp. There were two other hikers at the vicinity that I had not seen before. A bit later, Candyman appeared.

Comments