2018.08.02 - Day #84 - Lakes and lakes

To PCT mile 1897.8 (stats here).

It was cold during the night. The vicinity of the lake played a part in this, I am sure, but lately this has been a common trend in the weather pattern. My sleeping bag was a bit damp and it seemed that my bladder had leaked. I should not keep it near my other stuff anymore. I slept in because of the coldness and as a benefit, actually saw some dreams. They were crazy ones, blended with hiking related stuff. Cannot anymore remember the details, though.

Some nice views, lots of lakes here.

I got going 6:45am. It was still cold so I kept a fast pace. Especially my fingers feel the cold. I actually like that it is chilly, it makes you move fast. I went past 5 other hikers. When having my first break, they all caught up with me. A German fellow called Birdman joined me for the break. His stuff looked so new and clean that I first thought that he is a day hiker. He revealed that he just goes through the trouble of keeping himself and his stuff clean and in order.

The same routine continued today that has been my trend lately. On my second break, I had my chocolate-coffee and soon after, nature called. This combination, after executed, makes you feel light and move fast. On the second break I saw a south bounding thru hiker the first time. Or at least he was the first I talked to. The place where I took the break contained also a huge water cache. One of the containers where filled with gatorade and I happily filled my bladder half full. It is nice to get some change, instead of drinking only pure water.

I love the blend of mountains, water and green.

The day contained lots of going up. There was an alternate route that you could take, the Skyline trail. It goes past the ups and downs, and skips some 7 miles of the PCT. I chose not to take this route, but many did. I consider that the views were worth it. On the other hand, the alternate went among the lakes that you could only see from high up. Then again, you eventually got down from the actual PCT and I did went for a swim on one of the biggest lakes. The time was already around 6pm and getting up from the lake made me a bit cold.

My campsite for the night.

By the lake, there were a camp site where few American families had set up their huge camping setups. They seemed to be nice people and gave me some water as I was a bit suspicious of getting it from the lake. It is a popular camping spot even as the lake was forbidden for motorboats. What was a bit disturbing to my eye was that one guy had a hand gun on his belt.

I was determined to do 30 miles and do the days final ascend without carrying too much water. This meant that I ended the day by going up 1200 feet to get to a days first actual creek, and then camping on top of a high peak few miles after. I was feeling cold but envigorated from the swim and had a good humour doing the climb. The camp site already contained two other tents and the people were just putting their heads on their pillows. I set up my bugnet up quickly and enjoyed the sunset. The place was a bit windy and I felt cold so I was happy to crawl into my sleeping bag, thinking about how cold the night would be.

Comments