2018.05.23 - Day #13 - Power from kindness

To PCT mile 235.5 (stats here).

I got up 4:55am after sleeping very well, without waking up even once. On the trail, I usually wake up every two hours. Liz was already up and busy making breakfast. Like all her cooking, it was absolutely terrific, with berries and great coffee. Bob had brekkie with me and we chatted. He is such a nice person. He told me that I could call him the next few days if I wanted another stay with them. Great kindness.

Lots of windturbines. And dystopian atmosphere.

Bob gave me a ride to the trailhead and I started hiking a bit past seven. Just thinking about the nice experience gave me wings and I stormed through the plain and the wind park. I kept a break after 10 miles at the start of the Whitewater creek, where I stumbled into some familiar faces. Julie and her daughter were there behind a big rock where there was enough shade for me also. We talked a good while and making good mileage seemed to be hard for today.

After the break there was a lot of climbing to be done. I catched up with Julie and co, and as they went with a solid pace, I was forced in a good way to keep it up as well. I met with my first another north european hiker, a dane named Simon, at the top of the climb. Most of the hikers are from North America, and there is a good selection of Central Europeans as well.

Who would want to carry this to a top of a mountain? I would not, no humour in me.

I had a afternoon nap after I felt that I've been exposed to the sun too much. Failing to check the Guthook app for a proper place for such a thing, I just picked up a first shady spot beside a big bush. This was stupid as the grass and ground are very spiky on most deserty places, and I managed to damage my foam matress and get a cut to my finger. Added bonus was that there would have been a water source and a flat tent site half a mile after my spot.


Guess the species! Or know. And tell me, as an ignorant person I can't identify anything I see.

As I had stubbornly decided to do 25 miles because the previous day I did not hit even 20, I ended walking late to the evening. I picked the last tent site before a long void, and again paid the price. It was full and I ended up camping on the bottom of a dry creek bottom. The last 4 miles were hard as the pain in the bottom of my foot increased and I was fatigued from the days heat. I really should make camp earlier. §§§§

Comments