2018.06.18 - Day #39 - Independence

To PCT mile 788.5 (stats here).

I got up 5:30am, a bit later than I was supposed. We had agreed to leave towards the Bullfrog Lake sidetrail and town of Independence 6am with BigFoot and there was to breakfast still to be had from the trail angels. The night was hot, as I had utilised the thights for the first time and it was only slightly below zero, deducting from the few ice crystals in my water bottle.

A warm brekkie!

Smiley warmed some tortillas on the camp fire and I got also coffee. This made my stomach work and nature called right away, which has not happened to me here on trail during mornings.

We got going maybe 6:45am and started with a wrong trail, going maybe 1 mile before realising the error. We kept a fast pace as the sidetrail was 9 miles long, going over a Kearsage Pass. We wanted to be in town early so there would be time to run errands properly. I had already enough food but just wanted a break and write the blog. BigFoot had a package to receive and needed to go to Bishop.

Nice views from the pass.

Although the extra climb to Kearsage Pass was a bit hard, the views were worth it. It took a long time to descend to the parking lot, but we lucked out and got a lift to town from a young doctor who was giving a ride to his brother, who was getting back to trail. Could not offer him gas money as he was driving an electric.

1st time my permission was queried by a ranger.

Independence is a very small place. I got a bunkbed from a cheap place that had everything I needed. The wifi did not work properly in the room, but was okaye in front of the reception. First the dormitory was occupied only by Obiwan, a Star Wars fan, and later also by Jeff. We had discussions about Star Wars and the trail, but mostly I tried to catch up with my blog. This was interrupted by a visit to a Shell store, which was superior to the Chevron one. While I was on my groceries trip, I saw Early who had gotten some trail magic from a family that had bought too much food for their daughters hiking endeavor. She shared this loot with me.

I scourged the internet for new shoes and finally decided to order Hoka One One Stinson trail runners. I could not find any shoes of size 16, and the Altra Lone Peaks that I currently have are also out of stock. Even as we were in town already around noon, I only went bed around 11pm as updating the blog and IG took its sweet time. Getting accommodation from a dorm is not good for your writing.

Comments