2018.06.22 - Day #43 - Muir equals beauty

To PCT mile 857.7 (stats here).

The night was bearable. I was expecting it to be cold so I put a lot of clothing and in the end I was not cold at all. I got up 4:50am and was ready to move 5:30am. I left the thights and puff on which turned out to be mistake. I almost immediately needed to take them off.

Are you ready for the Muir? And how did I take this pic? Questions of life.

The Muir Pass was not far away. I had done most of the climbing already the previous evening. For the start of the hike, I unnecessarily got my feet wet while not paying attention.

The ascend, although relatively short, was hard as there was lots of climbing in snow. I utilised my micro spikes for the first time and they proved to be useful. When the snow is still hard you can confidently just run over the suncups.

Much more passing through the snow than any day before this here.

The going down from John Muir hut was also hard. There were lots of snow and the trail was hard to follow. I can only imagine how it is when it is a high snow year. Now it is a very low year regarding that. When I got out of the snow, the views were starting to be spectacular. No wonder the pass is named for the famous John Muir. The top name for the best places.

I went down while listening music and feeling very nostalgic with all the surrounding beauty. There were alpine lakes, lots of green and magnificent peaks. The trail was easy after the hard ascend. I kept the second half of my breakfast while already at a pretty low elevation. Tourist came to say hi to me while I was ready to continue and he ready to take his lunch break.

It was gorgeous after the Muir Pass. My 3 pic policy denies me to reveal more.

During this day there was the crossing of famous Evolution Creek. That is one crossing that you cannot get over without getting your feet wet. In wet years the going over can be dangerous. This year it is pretty easy and the water is only knee deep. Getting your feet wet feels good.

I had a coffee cacao mix during my third break and decided to try to reach the John Muir Ranch at the end of the day. People have been telling that the place has a super abundant hiker box. The Ranch is a privately run enterprise, where you can stay for a night if you book it in front of time. I had no way of checking how it operates but thought that the side trail to the place is not that long, so it pays the trouble just to check it out.

With the inspiration of the surroundings, easy downhill going, and the coffeine in my blood, the rest of the day went quickly and pleasently. When I arrived to the ranch 7pm, it was already closed and the people behing the fences having dinner said that I would need to come back the next day. I ended up setting up a camp near by and decided not to wait until 8am but just continuing the next day.

My camp spot was good but the amount of mosquitos annoyingly high. The peeking deers around were also suspicious. I hid my bear cannister and went to sleep in good humour.

Comments