2018.06.13 - Day #34 - Official start of the Sierras

To PCT mile 709.5 (stats here).

For once, I got up 4am as planned. Because I went to sleep early, this was no problem. I tried not to wake Jay-C, and directed the headlamp away from others. The morning called also a morning dump. This was to be expected with all the eating the previous day.

I kept a brisk pace. It was fun for a change to be on the move before the sun was up. I got soon to the first proper river that I have encountered here. It was maybe 5 meters wide, and there were people camping on its shore. Once I got past the river, I caught up with Kurt. I hadn't seen him since Mike's Place, as he had skipped some sections that he already covered last year. We talked a while. He was keeping a slower pace, and soon Jay-C appearead. We kept going all together for a while, taking pictures of the 700-mile marker spots, but soon Jay-C sped up and I followed suit. It did not take long for us to reach Kennedy Meadows. We were there about 8am.

It is a big distance for a small man.

The front of the general store were already full of hikers. The store would open only at 9am. I wanted to go to Grumpy Bears Retreat, to have breakfast and also to get my packages. You can get them delivered to Grumpy's for free as the store takes money for that service.

A gentleman named Gary was happy to offer a ride to Grumpy's with his small RV. The place was already filled with hikers that had ordered the famous all-you-can-eat-pancakes brekkie. I joined the group. It took a sweet while before the breakfast was served, and I spent the time by drinking coffee and talking to other hikers. There was one from Australia, and we talked about the country and running. Also, the German hiker with a trail name BigFoot was there.

It was jolly at Grumpy's. And food plentiful.

You guess what? I ate way too much. Two big pancakes and the potatoes and eggs. I felt a bit sick. Writing the blog felt agonizing but that's what I did. And visited the toilet two times. I also decided to send the just delivered ice axe back. The bear canister that was filled to the brim with food was just so heavy that I did not want any extra weight. Well, I took the micro spikes, but I sent the rest back to Susanna. Just as my backpack was starting to be nice and light, it is now again too heavy. 

I visited the Triple Crown Outfitters to see if they would have shoes for me. My current ones are starting to be very worn out, and might give in anytime. I also feel I am getting blisters because of that. They did not have any shoes, but I bought two new pair of socks instead. The other was toe socks that many use here. They were a bit small but I took a risk. Currently as I have bandages in my toe, I cannot try them out. Maybe soon.

Before getting back to trail, I spent some time to arrange my stuff at Grumpy's. As it took a while before getting a ride, I played the guitar a bit. Man I am rusty. Finally Gary appeared and offered a lift. He also offered a beer, and the other hikers on board gave me a donut. What a service!

As long as everybody fits and there are donuts.

I got back on the trail about 4pm. It was very hot and the pack felt very heavy so the going was slow. My left shin also started to hurt, something that I have not experience before. I kept a slow pace and pushed for 8 more miles, totalling a decent 17. The tent site was big and spacious and there were only two tents when I got there. I placed my cowboy camp on the furthest edge to get away from pontential noise. An hour later two couples arrived that conveniently set their tents just next to mine and kept making noise until late. Irritating. I am an old man. I need my peace.

Comments