2018.05.29 - Day #19 - Towns and drama

To PCT mile 379.5 (stats here).

It was my intention to get up early enough so I could climb to the summit and meet with Isha and Lars before they would depart. I got going 5:30am which was an hour later that I wanted. The climb took much longer than I anticipated, but they were still there enjoying a slow morning. It was only 3 or 8 miles downhill to the town from the peak, depending on the route you took, and they would stay there for the day.

Lars enjoying his unlimited data subscription and doing a call home. Could be a worse location.

It was nice to spend time at the peak with people, enjoying the view, breakfast and conversation. I took the longer route down as I want to try to go as much along the official PCT as possible, without skipping even the small sections with hitching or road walks if I can help it. While going down, I met with and older guy, Jonathan, that knew a lot about PCT and had the one Scott Williamson, the most famous person in PCT, as his mentor.

I was at the junction where you could get a hitch to town a bit before noon. Luckily I got a ride right away, as a local trail angel, Elizabeth was just about to leave there with an other hiker. There was some drama as when she heard that I am from Finland, she presented me a printout of Mikko and asked if I've seen him. Last night Susanna had contacted me if I've heard anything from Mikko lately. He had not answered my last message and Susanna had not heard of him in 2.5 days either. I saw his name in the trail register of previous days water cache. I said I would investigate in Wrightwood. Susanna had already mobilized herself and posted in Facebook. Just 15 minutes later Mikko contacted everyone and said he was already almost in Agua Dulce, the next resupply location, which I suspected to be the case to begin with. He surely is doing the miles.

The best (out of two) burger I've had here so far.

I joined Lars and Isha for lunch in Wrightwood. The vegetarian burger with sweet potato fries was very good. Lars and Isha were terrific company. As they stayed in the town the coming night, they went to get a room. I went to a cafeterian, where I wrote something for the blog, and utilized the toilet for a sweet while.

After that, I bought a pack of tortillas. I was able to raid the hiker box for an unopened peanut butter jar. As so many times before, I had too much food with me again. I am making the hike unnecessary hard for myself. Well, good practice for Sierra.

Wrightwood is a nice small place. The front of the market had a dedicated place for hikers to hangout, with power outlets, tables, water and shade. I had agreed with Elizabeth that she picks me up for the trailhead.

I was back at the trail 5pm, which was just as I planned. At this elevation, it was nice and chill, and I hiked with a slow pace with the aim of doing just 20 miles. I did not check the elevation profile and the ascension to Mt. Baldy came as a surprise. As I regretted a bit of not staying the previous night at the previous peak, I thought that this time I would do it. I went past many suitable tent sites, and it was completely dark again before I was way up. I did not go to the actual summit, which was maybe half a mile on a side trail, as it would not made sense in darkness. The tent site near was no good either as the wind was fierce. I was forced to continue.

At over 9000 feet it is not that sensible to look for a tent site in the night.

Again, the next tent site was full so I needed to improvise and look for a good enough spot. The next site would have been in additional 4 miles that I did not want to do. I put my camp in a place that was less than optimal.

Comments