2018.06.21 - Day #42 - JTM traffic

To PCT mile 835.7 (stats here).

The night was not that great, as expected. The surface was rocky and it was relatively cold. I did not go to pee during the night so I was able to get up 4:45am. A good strategy.

From my cowboy campsite.

I was so close to Mather Pass that it felt easy. I could not fathom why people think it is intimidating. The ascend consisted of pretty standard switchbacks. Getting down from the pass was a bit more hard. There were lots of snow and rocks, and navigating needed to be careful and you needed to check where to go as you could not follow the trail. It disappeared all the time.

After getting over the hardest part, the descent continued for a long time and was boring. I listened Jordan's audiobook and finished it. It was enjoyable and I would want to read it as well.

It seems I need to replace my headphones. They do not work as stereo anymore and need tweaking to work at all. Well, they've worked for surprisingly long already.

A JMT hiker preparing brekkie before some fishing.

Once I got into the valley, I kept a break at a beautiful alpine lake. There were lots of people camping and I had a conversation with a bunch of men that were to spent the day fishing. They offered me some oatmeal as JMT hikers, so I am told, usually stock way too much food with them.

Some nice landscapes and semi-bearded men.

The day was relatively boring. Being in a valley, surrounded by mountains, is magnificent but the surroundings can get a bit monotonous. I kept leap frogging with Tourist, the aussie I met for thr first time in Kennedy Meadows. That was almost all of my social interaction for the day. It was starting to be clear that I could not get to the next pass today, John Muir, as the climb was just too long.

After 20 miles and some climbing I was pretty beat. I tried to follow a group of three young hikers, but they were much stronger. I settled for a camp site by a lake that was unoptimal, but I just did not want to go further. After trying to get my tarp up I realised how bad of a place it was. The wind was strong and there was no cover. The ground was hard too and I tried to tie the cords to rocks with no avail. Finally I gave up and looked for a spot with more cover in the vicinity. I found it and cowboy camped with an annoyed mood.

Comments