2018.05.24 - Day #14 - Walking as work

To PCT mile 256.2 (stats here).

I woke up around five when the camp next to me had their alarm go off, but just conversed that they need more sleep. I had my alarm on the usual 4:30am but had dismissed it. I welcomed the another wake up.

Even if walking gets boring, the flowers stay pretty.

The day was quite uneventful and boring. The landscapes were not that nice, going up and down without great vistas or mountains. I saw a Canadian couple from last night and chatted with them on few occasions. I also saw Josh from yesterday few times, a local guy having it easy and mellow, and reading his Kindle every now and then. I wondered if at some point I would start to get my rhythm down and miss my Kindle.

The day was relatively hot and partly because of that I lacked motivation. I did a poor job with my pace. I've somewhat set that it would be good to cover 5 miles in 2 hours, and then keep a break to change socks and get my feet up. I did not make that pace today.

Finding a magic soda and a couch to drink it at counted as a highlight of the day.

I distracted myself listening extensively some audiobooks. Wool and a self-help title from Mark Manson were on rotation. At the end of the day, there was some magic to be had as there was a trashcan full of sodas. Or to be precise, I was lucky to find one among all the trash.

When I was nearing Big Bear City there were also few ads that couple famous trail angels reside at this town, with their contact info. For some unbelievably stupid reason this really did not register with me and I did not take the contact info up.

Sometimes they are everywhere.

I set up a camp early, already about 5pm. I used few hours to write the blog, before the air was too chilly to sit at the picnic table. An older hiker named Henry also came to the same campground and we talked briefly. I went to sleep early so I finally could adhere to my decided schedule of getting up 4:30am. Let's see how thata goes this time.

Comments