2018.05.31 - Day #21 - The Two Stations

To PCT mile 436.1 (stats here).

For once, I was almost able to get up when planned. I got up at 5, and was up and going 5:40am. It was still cool so I started with my puff jacket on. Trey was a bit faster disassembling camp so he went first. The rest of the group were still sound in sleep.

An eerie tree from along the trail. I take too many similar landscape pictures, still.

The very beginning of the day was a bit slow, but once I took the jacket off, I picked up speed. The next water source was at a fire station, and somehow this goal gave me extra motivation and I went what felt like really fast. After a climb in the beginning it was mostly going downhill, and I made 12 miles by 9:15am. There was a small amount of 7up left in the trail magic box that I happily consumed as Pete did not want it. First I went past the fire station down to a picnic area, but then trailed back the 0.5 miles without my pack to get the water. Not alone with this mistake.

I ate the rest of the peanut butter tortillas that I had when having a break. This was a bit too much, and made the coming section unnecessarily hard. I had gone past Trey unknowingly during the morning. I also left the fire station before others did, so the knowledge that I was ahead of the others kept my pace still at decent level. It helps me not to slow down too much if I know there are people behind me.

I am carrying constantly too much water. I should think about it more, and drink steadily. Water is the heavist single thing you carry and having 2L extra is just plain stupid.

A hard climb to the top and then some quizzing with new people.

There was a long hard climb yet again in the afternoon. I was determined to get there before I take a break, so that is what I did. The 2.5 miles that remained after checking the map just before felt like forever. I was happy to arrive, and greeted the people having a break there happily. Princess offered me a sip of his beer, and I made people guess my country of origin. Amazingly, Dream Crusher was able to guess this with his first try. So far people have failed to guess it at all.

Ranger Ron having everybodys attention in the evenings chill.

Days final goal was a ranger station. There were no other tent sites nearby and there was a rumor that you got a free hot dog there and could buy sodas and ice cream. It was down hill the whole way, but especially the end was a bit difficult with the narrow path and lots of vegetation. Ron at the ranger station was nice, and I ate the bun from the hot dog and bought an ice cream. It has been unseasonally cold, and people were forced to pitch their shelters. I think this was only the 4th time I pitched my tarp.

Comments