2018.05.28 - Day #18 - Dirty McDonalds

To PCT mile 357.2 (stats here).

I slept surprisingly well, considering the tight spot and relatively exposed area. Also the train, blowing its horn, disturbed the sleep. Here it seems that the trains are obliged to announce their going when near settlements all the time. I ignored my alarm many times and got up and going as late as 6:30am.

My motivation was a bit low as it was light already. When it is still a bit dark and cool, it is easier to keep yourself going. When the sun is already up, you feel it is going to be hot and get sluggish. There was a girl that went past me with good pace, and I decided to try to keep up with her. It was hard, but I managed and in a long downhill went past her. I also went past a guy listening music from the phone's loudspeaker. Later I learned that these people were Isha and Lars from Belgium and Denmark.

The famous place to be. Maybe 15 years since my last visit.

The McDonalds that is famous among PCT hikers was looming ahead. Originally, before starting the trail, I thought that I would not go there, but now it was a welcoming break and a possibility to use the wifi. I got there already 8:30am so they only had their breakfast menu on. I ordered a milkshake and two apple pies. I've given up to be a vegan on the trail, and settled for being a vegetarian. As the day progressed, more and more hikers appeared there. In total, I ended up spending over 4 hours there. And as for a dollar you could get endless refills of sodas, I drank at least 3 liters of tha sugary liquid. Originally I was thinking to spend the hottest part of the day there, but finally could not stand to be there long enough and just continued the trail.

The most dangerous moment on this trail?

It was not a good time to continue. The day was at its hottest, and leaving from a busy highway was not nice at all as the depressing sounds and sights were present for a long time. The scenery was dull. After 5 miles at a water cache I met Lars and Isha and a couple from Switzerland. I followed suit and also decided to take a small break and a nap there, to wait out the heat and prepare for the up coming hard climb.

Not quite from where I camped, but from pretty high up.

I was thinking to skip the next resupply town, Wrightwood, but people were talking how it is one of the nicest towns to visit. So I argued this over in my mind. When ascending the climb, I talked with the people and was convinced to go to Wrightwood. Also it was nice to talk with fellow Europeans. That has not happened that much on the trail so far. I ended up hiking late in the evening with the others. Isha and Lars continued to the summit, but I decided to stay on the site 4 miles shy from it as it was already 9:30pm. You could see the city lights from there but I guess the view would have been truly magnificent from all the way up. I was still happy after a hard day that I did not go the extra miles.

Comments