2018.06.15 - Day #36 - Water everywhere!

To PCT mile 762.9 (stats here).

I got only up 4:45am. The night was cold and I did not want to get out of the sleeping bag. From the same reason, I did not get up during the night to pee. A good way to get up relatively early.

A chilly morning view from the top.

It was very chilly in the morning so I hiked quickly. I started the hike with my puff jacket on which I rarely do. After 15 minutes I took it off. During my first break, Noble and a korean whose name I do not remember, went past me. I thought they would be further but it seems that there are few people that get up very early. They, as quite many hikers that I met, were gonna resupply in Lone Pine. That is basically the last proper resupply place with an outfitter before hitting the High Sierras.

For once, my feet are getting wet. Not from the sweat.

I was fast during the morning. This was also due that it was mostly downhill. There was a nice lake called Chicken Spring Lake where many hikers went to have a break. I first thought about swimming there but finally settled just to soak my feet there. The amount of mosquitos was quite overwhelming. I met Mike there, who was doing a short practice hike for John Muir Trail.

The views definitely are getting better. Mountains are begin to be all around. I got a morale boost from listening Circus Maximum. There was some climbing at the days end, but I decided to do at least 26 miles so the next day I could climb Mount Whitney. I thought to camp at campground next to a creek, where Mike would camp, but when getting there, decided that the amount of people was too much. I continued the steep climb and eventually met with Windy and MacGyver. They had the same intentions as me, climbing Mt. Whitney the next day. I ended up having a nice solitary camp site after a steep climb. For once I was happy to continue later than originally intended.

A welcoming sight! No more long water carries.

Comments

  1. I was actually wondering about insects there. But there they are, mosquitos. Bloody bunch. Wonderful scenery. Gotta love pinetrees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the mosquitos are not causing itching almost at all, which is great!

      Delete

Post a Comment