2018.06.19 - Day #40 - It is passes for a while

To PCT mile 795.7 (stats here).

I slept badly. The airconditioning made the air too cold and I did not have enough blankets. I got up 5:30am and ate the leftover tortillas with beans from the day before. I had not decided exactly when to hit the trail and it happened that I lingered in the hostel for too long, only getting out at the check out time, 11am. At least I managed to make the shoe order, take care some banking issues and chat with Jeff.

Towards the trail head there appeared to be too many hikers in order the hitching to really succeed. I decided to call a local guy who takes hikers to the trail head for 10 dollars per person. He appeared quickly and we made the 20 miles or so by chatting happily about real estate prices and growing fruit crops. He was thinking about bottling his own juice. I was accompanied by two other chatty hikers.

A good choice to take alternate return route from town.

I went up the Kearsage Pass with good pace and was up in 2 hours. I had decided that I would want to go over the next PCT pass as well, Glenn Pass, so I needed to hurry. While going up, I saw Aston who had grown himself a mustash. He had taken a 4 day leave from the trail because of work, but now had already almost catch up with me. I also saw Kurt going down towards the town.

While going towards Glenn Pass, I saw an american couple many times that went fast and without saying a word. They did not even greet me when I said hi to them. This is quite rate on PCT. Usually people are open and cheerful. I also saw a group of biologists, doing a field study. So far I have mostly seen hikers, so this was a welcoming event.

Looks much easier than it is.

Once I got over Glenn Pass, the surroundings changed. You were surrounded by mountains from all directions, and descended to a valley. The amount of mosquitos became a real nuisance. I also noticed that there started to be quite a lot John Muir Trail - hikers, as for the next few hundred miles that and PCT are the same. Because of this it took me a while before I found myself a camp site.

In a valley! With all the mosquitos.

For the first time, I just put up my bugnet without the tarp. There was no wind but you needed protection from the mosquitos. I managed to utilise the hiking poles and some cord and rocks to my delight. This was the first time of doing this. The tarp has not felt as a good purchase. I am envious of to people that have easy to set up tents. The single person bugnet is too small.

Comments