2018.06.12 - Day #33 - This is work

To PCT mile 693.5 (stats here).

The night was not enjoyable. The terrain was with an angle, and the people in the tent next to me made a lot of noise with their air matresses. I got up 5:20am and was ready to go 6:05am. Before starting the hike, I took some water from the nearby source. There were lot of people, including Bird and Wind, who also camped at the same place.

The look of my brekkie reflects the mind.

Since ages, I did not manage to do 10 miles by 10am. The feeling for hiking was alright in the beginning of the day, but gradually my mind darkened. It was fun to chat with Bird and Wind, but otherwise the day was filled with mind numbing ascends and descends without anything interesting to see. Also, it was really hot.

The first water source was filled with people taking a break from the days heat. Many also smoked pot, and as I dislike the smell, this worsened my mood. I did not stay long but continued the ascend during the hottest time of the day. I listened the audiobook of Jordan B. Peters to distract myself, but unluckily the battery died short after.

It was quite apparent that I would not get to Kennedy Meadows today. I would not want arrive there late, and 33 miles would mean that. So I planned to camp earlier. I still had a lot of food, and therefore tried to consume a lot of it. This made me to eat too much which in turn made hiking hard. Note to myself, just do not eat it. Give it a way when opportunity rises instead.

The promise of Sierras in the distance.

The blister in the head of my big toe is getting bigger and now hinders the walking. I decided to deal with that this evening. The last 7 miles of the day was all downhill, but I made it hard to myself. After 8 hours of walking, I was to take a break, but could not find a good spot. Finally I settled to a place on the narrow path where I could somehow have my foam matress on. I ate a Meal-to-Go bar and a cliff bar, which was again way too much. The remaining 5 miles were agony. A couple caught up with me and their chatter irritated the shit out of me.

At 25 miles, I arrived to the tent site where I stayed. The time was only 5:15pm, but I did not want to continue. The place was filled with ants and I had my doubts. Soon an experienced, 3 times PCT and a Triple Crown achiever, hiker called Jay-C came and thought little about the ants. I decided not care either. This turned out to be fine as when the evening progressed, the ants almost disappeared. Jay-C was good company. I got no writing done, but I destroyed lots of food and chocolade, and got good information from JC. My head hit the pillow already 8pm, which promised good for the next days early start.

Jay-C and a champ style of cowboying.

Comments