2018.06.14 - Day #35 - First steps in green

To PCT mile 735.1 (stats here).

I got up not until 5, and ignored the alarm full 3 times. I slept quite good regardless evenings irritations. The new Western Mountaineering Ultralite sleeping bag seems to be good. I can sleep in it with only my shorts with no problems.

I got to the trail 5:45am and kept the pace down in order to feel how the leg works. Massaging seemed to help and I had no trouble with it except the usual. The scenary has now changed and there are lots of trees and meadows. This is a very welcoming change from the desert. I've had motivational problems lately, and thoughts about quitting the whole trail has surfaced. Not seriously, but if the landscapes would not offer anything new, this might very well be the reality.

Meadows! Not just sand anymore!

As I kept a relaxed pace, a japenese hiker called Noble went past me. I matched his pace. He is one of those persons who do the trail with just his sandals. There has been at least one another, but unlike Socrates (the other), Noble did not seem to have any trouble with his going. He has been fast, and started the hike 15th of May. Soon we met with Metronome and a chinese women who were taking pictures next to a bridge, just next to a large meadow. The woman is a professional trail runner and participated to the world championships in Spain before this trail. Seems that she and Metronome form a team now.

I guess the author is the slowest of the bunch.

I positioned myself between Noble and the pair. Because of this I was able to keep a good pace. This lasted to the next water source, which was also my 4 hour break. Stupid as I was, I did not check the map and took water from there. It happened that this was a start of a steep climb and the creek went all the way up to the top. I should have taken the water on top, and not stupidly carry the 2 liters all the way up. Now that we are in the Sierras, water is plentiful and you manage well with one liter anyway most of the time.

At the top I met a young american hiker, Sunburst. She suggested that se could take a picture of me, in front of the gorgeous backdrop. Why not! I have not utilised the Sticpic adapter for selfies in a while. After the long climb there was a long and boring descent. I listened music and Jordan to keep myself distracted.

The views are getting grander.

There was a water source at my 8 hour break. This time there would be no further sources going up, so I took 2 liters. The day ended with another steep climb. This turned out to be unmotivating as I was many times in the verge of stopping and setting up camp. I got fixated on doing 26 miles so I pushed forward. When I reached the top, I was pretty beat. It was quite windy so the decision was not the best. Nevertheless, I was there before 7pm so for once I got time to write an entry for the blog. What was irritating is that two italians that got to my nerve on previous break place came and camped at the same spot. They were loud but not as bad as the people the previous evening.

Comments