2018.06.02 - Day #23 - Is 12 miles a nero?

To PCT mile 465.6 (stats here).

I had not entirely decided what to do today. Original plan said that it would be a zero, but a whole day in Hiker Heaven did not feel justified. I wanted to catch up with the blog, and also escape the starting heat so I decided then to leave sometime in the afternoon.

He grabbed me! Maybe the serenade was for me, too?

While sleeping in the big dome tent, another hiker woke me up by grabbing me frantically. He later explained that he was disoriented and just tried to grab his backpack in order to make sure it is there. No harm done. Funny really.

I was pretty early done with the writing. I thought about going to REI, but the opportunity presented itself too late as a group quickly formed around 2pm and ordered an Uber to take them there. I felt it was a bit late but then regretted not going, as I have changes that I need to make to my setup: change the quilt to smaller sleeping bag, get better suited shoes or insoles and replace my worn out socks. I was able to raid the hiker box for a nalgene bottle where I put my spices and later I will fill it with olive oil again.

I also raided the hiker box for most of todays food. My breakfast was three bags of oatmeal with some jam that was in communal use. My lunch was tortillas filled with peanut butter and trail mix. They were quick to get, easy to prepare and allowed me to write at the same time.

These fellows know what to do when it is hot.

Today was a hot day. The cool period is apparently now over and it will be over 100 degrees of fahrenheit from now on (35 of celcius). With no wind and shade, this feels brutal. Did not encourage to start the hike.

I started to wait a shuttle to the trail head with a couple from Switzerland around 3pm. It took 2 hours before we actually got a ride. The walk would only have been a mile and a half, but the weather made us to stay put. Some people were gonna go to watch the first Stanley Cup final in the nearby pizzeria. I was temptated, but that would have meant no hiking on the entire day.

Our shuttle driver. Apparently a body double and side kick in some old hollywood series. He mentioned the same lines everytime we got a ride.

Before hitting the trail I went to the grocery store and bought a jar of Ben and Jerrys. The pistachio flavour turned out to be not good, and I criticized buying a soda. I have not been that good of washing my teeth here, and should limit the sugar intake. It is funny how soda is much cheaper here than water.

I started hiking only around 6:30pm. It was still hot, but cooling down a bit. I was thinking about walking late in night. The start of the hike followed roads for 3 miles, and was very boring. The actual trail was also very boring, and eventually hiking in the dark got the better of me and I stopped after 12 miles around 10pm. Even if the terrain is not super hard, it is unmotivating to walk when you do not see the surroundings. Minutes feel much longer. Also your footing comes unsure, and the walking itself strenuos.

I went to sleep quickly. No eating, brushing the teeth or putting gear in order. I did not even write notes or utilise the liner. It was hot and I wanted to fall asleep fast so I could wake up 4am and do some miles before the heat would get too intense the next day.

Comments