2018.06.03 - Day #24 - Casa del Luna

To PCT mile 489.9 (stats here).

I had alarm set up for 4, but kept ignoring it and got up only 5:15am. Other people from the camp site were just heading out and decided to really hit it and were on the trail in 10 minutes. New record. Being late again irritated me. I kept no breaks, which probably was a stupid thing to do regarding my feet. I have now been skipping constantly my 2 hour routine.

I had decided to visit the Casa de Luna, another famous trail angle home. The rumour is that you get breakfast there, as well as a taco dinner. I was at their door step 9:40am, just in time to snatch the last of the breakfast pancakes. The hike was 13 miles, accompanioed with an easy 2 mile hitch. I got a ride so fast, just managed to raise my thumb, that I failed to stop the tracking in my watch. The guy did not manage to give me a lift to the end, and a hiker couple that I went past some time earlier managed to be there before me.

Thor gave me a beer! We Finnish people, we look after one another.

Casa de Luna is held by the family Anderssons, now already for more than 20 years. The property is not that big as Hiker Heaven, but the atmosphere is maybe cozier and people more tied together. I did not want to stay that long and was thinking to go after the days heat would go down a bit. I was a bit lost and did not really know how to best spent the time. I met Thor, the Finnish hiker there, who generously gave me a beer.

I also wrote the latest entry to my blog, went to the nearby gas / grocery store, bought beans and nuts, ate lunch, and slept a bit on a hammock. I did socialize with people some, but not that much. I've now relapsed in that art and would need to pick up my game. It would be more fun that way.

Some people were painting rocks, some smoking, most drinking beer and talking. At one point someone brought an ice breaking machine that what utilized to make popsticles. The cooler had left over sodas from previous night, and I drank 3. Too much sugar for my poor teeth.

Maybe the biggest reason I decided to visit Luna was to split the day in two because of the heat. It is starting to be intense. Also, I wanted the PCT 2018 bandada that was handed out at Luna for a dance performance. My 5 seconds of wiggling passed for a dance, apparently.

It was good to get away from the buildings. The past days has felt too much being among civilization.

I left Luna around 5pm. The exit was smooth, and I got a ride immediately. I planned  to hike late in the night in order to do decent mileage, but as with previous night, this did not happen. The walking becomes strenuous when you cannot see around you. Minutes grow into hours, and unsure footing is irritating.

The trail. When the sun is setting.

I went on until about 9:30pm, and managed to do well over 20 miles. The place for my camp was a nice one under oaks. A bit windy, though. Stuff was falling from the oaks all the time. I hoped that nothing big would not fall on my head.

Comments