2018.06.07 - Day #28 - To the wind

To PCT mile 583.3 (stats here).

I did not sleep so well in the relatively fancy hotel. The noise from the fridge and the airconditioning kept me partly awake. You could not turn the aircon off, otherwise it would have been too hot. I woke up 3am and played with my phone. I got a feeling that would it be like this now on? Sleeping in a bed does not feel natural anymore? Doubt it.

A very unhealthy, unvegan breakfast. Well, calories.

I got properly up 6:30am and headed for a breakfast. It was continental and nonmentionable. I stuffed myself full nevertheless, feeling that it saves time and justifies the price of the hotel. Before checking out 12pm, I also called mom, wrote the blog more and checked some mundane things from the internet. I intended to rest more, but somehow the time flew and I needed to be out of the place.

There were two other hikers in the lobby. I asked their plans, and they said that a bigger group of them tries to get a lift through the trail angel network. I asked if I could tag along, and we started to walk towards the towns bakery. We maybe walked for 200 meters when a lady at a gas station offered us a ride. We happily accepted. So far getting rides here has been amazingly easy.

Road side walking, but thank god not on asphalt.

I started hiking 1pm and had no strict goals. I thought about doing 15 miles. Some 2 miles the trail just followed a highway, and because of the wind it was not hot. After that it turned into a climb, and the wind intesified all the more. You could actually lean on the wind, and it felt somewhat dangerous. Luckily the ascend was not along a steep cliff.

I stumbled into Micah, who was having a break. He has now been doing the same kind of pace as I for a long time. We hiked together the rest of the day which was a nice change as I've previously just briefly walked with others. We talked about work, studies, sci-fi and the trail.

Camping next to a water source.

Time goes quickly while having a conversation and we stopped after 17 miles, when it started to get a bit dark. The camp spot was at a water source and there were many others. It was a weird day. The sun shone brightly but it was not hot at any point, thanks to the wind and then to the shadow of the mountain. I almost did not sweat at all.

Another funny thing was that I haven't fallen down or tripped on this trip at all, but now under Micah's eyes that happened three times. I could blame the shoes which start to be wearn down, but the true reason is my inability to walk straight and converse at the same time.

Comments