2018.07.20 - Day #71 - There is a way to cool down when it is hot

To PCT mile 1576.7 (stats here).

I slept well and got up 4:30am. I was on the move 5:15am. I did not feel that tired, but the accumulated sleep deficit was still present in my groins. The beginnig of the day was downhill and I went past what seemed to be Bandits tent.

Some great views today!

I did not feel like drinking water so I made a point of not carrying any extra. Early in the day as it is still cool I can't force myself to drinki. Throughout the day, I had something like 0.5 liters with me. During my first break, I met a lawyer from California and a German hiker called Ibu. I would see them on many occasions throughout the rest of the day. It seems that every few days I encounter a set of new people that I see for another few days, and then these people change. I think that I am going at a bit faster pace than people in average. If I am able to keep the mileage, I should be finished with the trail before the middle of September.

It was all downhill until a highway. I hoped to get cell coverage there so I could check the status of my shoe order. I really needed the shoes. The tears and holes in my Altras are starting to be really wide, and there are constantly rocks and sand in them because of this. I was at the highway around 11pm but there was no reception. But at least there was some trail magic. John and Randy were offering sodas, water melon and chips. I was also happy to utilise the pit toilet at a campground. It seems that lately I have been using more those than digging holes myself.

Just as I was leaving the trail magic spot, a hiker named Nemo got to the same spot. I had to ask whether he really is a thru hiker. His backpack seemed to be a kids pack, and he was wearing stylish hawaian style outfit. That's the way to do hiking. I started the steep climb with Ibu. Not long after, I spotted a mobile phone laid down a rock next to the trail. After a moment of hesitation, I picked it up. I wondered if I could catch up with the person it belonged to, or if I could drop it off to the hostel in Etna. It took 5 minutes and a dog walker came from the opposite direction and asked if we had seen a mobile phone. I was reliefed to not need to carry the phone after all.

A familiar face catching up.

Even as it was really hot, I was able to do the climb quickly. I think it was partly due to the sugar peak from the soda and partly because of the social boost. Also, there would be a creek suitable for dipping yourself in after the climb. This kept me motivated. Missing those opportunities the previous day made me determined to get myself wet today. Once I got there, I went a bit downstream in order to find a suitable spot and then submerged myself into the water. There was room to lie down so that's what I did. Wonderful. The cooling effect lasted for the entire next climb, which made it pleasant and refreshing. Note to myself, dip in every reasonable chance you get. Bandit caught up with me when I was leaving the creek. We continued the rest of the way about the same pace. I do not know if he went slower or I faster, but it was nice to hike with a sense of having a group around you.

We decided to do 34 miles and try to be at the highway the same time the following day and then try to get a lift to Etna. We ended up camping at a top of a ridge with a really nice view. The time was again around 8pm, but it felt justified as it was now less than 20 miles to the highway. It was also nice to have dinner in a company, watching the sunset and talking before hitting the bed.

A nice spot to have dinner.

Comments

Post a Comment