2018.07.07 - Day #58 - Skipping a town

To PCT mile 1198.7 (stats here).

I got up 5:15am and underway 6am. As suspected, the sleeping bag was a bit wet as the campsite was next to a creek. The people staying there were still sleeping when I left. I had a slight headache, which probably is due to not drinking enough. I have relapsed to my habbit of not drinking forcefully, which is not good.

The terrain was easy so it was easy to go fast. I listened music extensively and planned all kinds of things in my head what would I do after the hike. So far I have not thought that much about anything except things related to the hike itself. There is quite much in that already, with all the town resupplies, how to react to oneselfs condition, thinking about if the gear is fit and proper, and so on. Maybe I start to have somekind of routine for this that lets my mind wander a bit more freely.

Creek water tastes the best.

My pace crashed during midday. We are on a bit lower elevations now and you can definitely feel that. In the Sierras it was no problem to hiker throughout the day. I dread how it will feel when we get really down, to under 4k or 3k. That will happen soon enough. It is gonna be hot.

I decided to skip Sierra City. I had just enough food for the next 3 days and to Belden. Also, this way I could maybe catch up with Bandit. He needed to get his package. Sierra City was only 1.5 miles offtrail, but over 1000 feet in elevation.

Horses! They exist!

Descending to the highway pass was a pain. Boring surroundings and when you need to watch your every steps, it makes the going tedious. The PCT is meant not only for hikers, but also for people riding horses. Now after 1200 miles, I finally saw my first horses on the trail. They were going the opposite direction. Granted, the riders were only on a day trip. I wonder how these animals can manage on the more challenging parts of the trail.

After the highway pass, my day ended with a steep ascend. Just before, on the parking lot, I stroke a conversation with a family who graciously donated me 3 energy bars. Day hikers here are nice. They have no problem on giving you their surplus if you are in a need. I was not entirely sure if I had enough food. I might have lost too much weight. Anyway, with happy thoughts and still some cocoa/coffee mix in my veins, I had no problem doing the climb.

I was surprised that the only marked 1-tent campspot at the middle of the climb was still free. It was 7pm, and I was relatively sure it wouid be taken. It was rocky and exposed, but good for me. Just half an hour later two other hikers appeared. They needed to settle for even less than that for the night. And after that, Bandit arrived. We seem to stick together for now. He has the speed, I do more hours.

My time to be on the camp site first.

Comments