2018.07.09 - Day #60 - It took over 1000 miles to get a man to swim

To PCT mile 1267.1 (stats here).

In order to keep my game alive with Bandit, I got up today even earlier. 4:15am was the time and I was moving already at 5am. Today would be a tedious day, first with a huge drop from 7000 feet to 3000 feet and then back up again.

Early bird again!

I took a fast pace for the downhill. It is a bit hard for the legs, especially for the ankles and I am not sure if my footing is the most reasonable. I can go maybe up to a 4.5 mph with this style. It is risky as there is a chance to trip, with the rocks and such. I am yet to fall down but close it has been.

The fast pace was interrupted briefly by a call of nature. It seems that my body craves for a dump every morning now. I've tried to eat more before going to bed. Probably that is the reason.

The Sierras definetely are now behind and the water carries are coming longer. In the morning, I needed to go 0.3 miles offtrail to get water. Right after, there was a place where somebody had provided a water cache on trail. Because of this, and two 20 minute breaks, Bandit caught up with me. We briefly had a break together, but I left earlier and reached the bottom of the valley before. There was a big, nicely flowing creek that acted as a great swimming spot.

This was my very first time here that I actually swam on a creek or lake. How crazy and/or stupid is that. But somehow it has not been that inviting to swim on cold alpine lakes. Now at 3000 feet, it was blazingly hot and swimming felt fantastic.

Hey girls, look at all the muscle. I mean, the lack of it. Would this happen to Mr. Schwarzenegger if he would take the trail?

After maybe 1.5 hours we started climbing again. Bandit went like a rocket and I determined to take it slowly and steady. I selected some motivating music, drank my signature cocoa/coffee mix and started moving. The swimming worked wonders and I felt good the entire way up. Concentrating on having my breathing and pulse steady, the 7 miles went quickly and I got some good planning done in my head.

Unlike the author, this tree has not lost weight.

At the top, I encountered a young hiker, Two Packs, talking to her sweetheart. Quick checking revealed no luck with AT&T. The views were stunning, though. Bandit was nowhere to be seen, which was no wonder as the time was only 5pm. I decided to do 5 more miles and see if I could get to the same camping spot. I found him and other hikers 3 miles later, but decided to go even further as I had not secured water earlier. This was a bit stupid, as this way one cannot participate on the social side of things. That has largely been void from my hiking. I tend to camp late and practically alone.

I ended up doing 35 miles. That's a good amount, but at my pace this requires a whole day of walking. At least with these elevation changes. Then again, when soon getting down and to more flat areas, it is gonna be awfully hot. I suspect this slows me down. Lets see if I am able to do over 40 at all.

Comments

  1. The good old trail diet. Man you look skinny - gotta work on that fat when you're back home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment