2018.07.03 - Day #54 - Short ones to town are killing the pace

To PCT mile 1090 (stats here).

I got promptly up 5am and was moving 5:45am. Coyote was still sleeping when I went. The few miles that would be in program today were all downhill, so it would be quickly done.

Coppertone and his RV on the back.

I was at the parking lot after 5 miles already 7:30am. A legendary trail angel Coppertone was there with his RV. I was his first guest for today and he offered a root floatie. I've had one before and did not like it that much, so I asked to have just the ice cream. Coppertone had cookies and bananas and nice stories. He is retired and just driving with his RV around and giving treats to hikers. Soon other hikers joined the party, among them Bandit and Martin.

Getting a ride is a thrill!

We did not stay too long with Coppertone but went to the highway to hitch to town with Bandit and few others. At the same time I sent email queries to local trail angels for possible accommodation. It took only 10 minutes to get a ride. A gentleman with his dog got us to a mall. With Bandit, I went to Starbucks for some quality time with the Internet. I ordered a coffee and we spent an hour to message friends and family. During that time one trail angel replied that we would be welcomed to her house this evening, but that she was booked out for the 4th July.

Kathy and John were the trail angels in question. She came to pick us up after I did some groceries. I ended buying way too much as our hosts provided us lunch right when we got to their house, and later an absolutely amazing quinoa taco salad as dinner. The world is small. Once we got to the house, we met with Coyote. Our trail angels were the same people as the friends of his family. Their house was beautiful. We got an own room with a bunkbed that I shared with Bandit. Later, Flame that I briefly met before joined us.

We got John to thank for the great beer and hospitality!

I spent most of the day catching up with my blog. It is a sad thing that it takes so much time whenever in town. I will need to try to write it also during hiking, otherwise I will miss much of the fun in towns. I did join Kathy and others for another grocery trip. I mostly just bought energy bars and sweets, which was overkill again.

It was fun and refreshing to socialize with Kathy, John, Coyote, Bandit, Flame and one other hiker. We shared stories and continued the dinner to almost midnight. This was a bit too late, as I knew I would then not get enough sleep. I wanted to wake up early to finish the catching up with the blog. It was already past midnight when I got to bed.

I have been lucky during the trail. I've met bunch of amazing trail angels and people that are willing to help. Kathy and John were nothing short of amazing.

Comments

Post a Comment