2018.07.10 - Day #61 - The time going down is not fun

To PCT mile 1286.8 (stats here).

I did not sleep very well and got up already 4:05am. The ground was with an angle and I kept sliding off the sleeping pad a bit. In addition I had weird dreams. I dreamt that I was already at home and that the trail where I returned from was some kind of ultra running trail. When I woke up, I did not know where I was.

Ah, another beautiful morning.

I got under way already 4:45am and needed to utilize the head lamp. I kept a good pace, with the intention to hit Belden noonish. As it has been the habbit lately, I needed to take a morning dump. There was an easy 1000 feet ascend in the beginning, and then a 5 mile even section. These were easy to travel. After that it was a 7 mile steep descend, which was exhausting. Both mentally and physically. My legs were tired from the last days and keeping pace with such a downhill got to my ankles and calfs.

Everything is easy with views like this.

Especially the bushy sections are hard. Once I was really close to tripping. You cannot spot the rocks and roots from all the vegetation. I rather would hike on flat surface than downhill. Endless switchbacks are unmotivating as the scenary does not change.

A tedious descend to Belden.

Nevertheless, I think this was my first 20 miles before noon. I arrived at Belden 12pm. This time Bandit did not catch me, which would have been quite a feat because of my early starting time. I called Brenda from the town bar as there was no reception for AT&T. Brenda keeps trail angeling a hostel like dwelling for hikers that fit 4. She showed me the ropes and after that I went to Caribou Crossroads, a small RV park that acts as a restaurant and shop also.

Belden is really small and so was Caribou. They've ran out of supplies so I did not get their famous milkshake and needed to settle for a sandwich. I quickly departed back to Little Haven to work on my blog. That I did for most of the rest of the day, while drinking too much coffee. Later three other hikers joined me in Little Haven. Also Bandit briefly visited, but then decided to continue hiking. Lets see if I see him anymore as now he will have at least a half day lead compared to me.

I needed to cancel the order of a resupply package from Susanna to Drakesbad Guest ranch. She had not done that yet and it would be too late to get it anymore here in the mountains. That leaves me now replanning my resupplying. I might need to go to Chester, which is one and a half days trip. That is annoyingly short trip, but from Belden you cannot get that much. I bought few bars and a package of ramen.

Later in the day I went again to Caribou to get their milkshake. It was good and I also talked a bit with the owner, Michael. He is a nice guy who is from New Your, lives in the Bay Area, and keeps the shop in Belden during the summer. I also washed my laundry at Little Haven in an outdoor sink.

After socializing a bit the whole bunch of hikers went bed quarter to nine. I kept working the blog a bit. There is a train track going through Belden and it seemed that it is heavily trafficed during the night. Feels that I do not get to sleep that well in towns. 

Comments