2018.07.04 - Day #55 - Fireworks of the fourth

To PCT mile 1105.8 (stats here).

I did not sleep that well. I ate too much of the delicious taco salad, and the knowledge of early wake up stressed my mind. I got up at 6am. The one unnamed hiker was already up and seemed to be ready to leave. He had acted the whole time a bit weird and during the morning he was a bit too loud while the others were still sleeping. A nice guy otherwise.

The superb hosts and one hobo again.

I consumed too many cups of coffee and an entire packet of cookies while I was working with the blog. Kathy and John prepared a great breakfast. Warm porridge with blueberries and strawberries. After that, everybody else except me went to see the Independence Day parade in the city center. I was to leave around noon and there were still some internet business to be done.

Before getting a ride to the trailhead, I prepared some tortillas for hiking and continued eating. Eating in towns has been a problem for me. I've tried to eat as much as possible, but I end up eating unhealthily and too much and then feeling sick. Today was not an exception.

I was at the trailhead 3pm. I had taken the 2L container of unopened ice cream with me, and wondered if I really should eat it or not. But now that I had it, I gave it a go. Mistake, as it made the hiking truly horrible. The 2 miles to Echo Lake Chales felt like forever. There, stupid as I am, I continued to eat the ice cream. Should have just dumped it. Fortunately I had the sense not to finish it entirely.

Some arid and wonderful lakes at the area.

I had vaguely agreed with Bandit that we would meet at Dicks Pass, that was further 13 miles from the chalet. There we could possibly see the Independence Day fireworks. I was cutting it really close, but decided to try to make it. It was all uphill and I was feeling sick of all the food and sugar. I kept also meeting day hikers and chatting with them. It did not look good.

As the day and evening progressed, my feeling improved as I burned the calories. I reached the pass 9:15pm. It was already pretty dark. As a stroke of luck, I stumbled to Bandits tent. It was chilly and blowing hard, but we ascended to the peak to watch the fireworks. In my opinion, they were nothing special. I actually hoped they would finish quickly so that I could go and set up my tarp for the night. They lasted for long time. I was able to hastily setup my camp not before than 11pm. I am terrible with my tarp, but managed to somehow hold it together in the wind. The next morning I surely would not get up at 5am.

Not a great pic but conveys the feeling.

Comments