2018.07.13 - Day #64 - Lassen and forced hiking

To PCT mile 1369.6 (stats here).

I slept well and got up 5:15am. I did not get enough sleep, though. An early start was necessary as you needed to get through the Lassen Volcanic National Forest without camping if you did not have a bear canister. Most hikers just hike through the 19 miles during the day. We had some 10 miles until the park boundary, so it would need to be a 30 miler out of necessity.

The days big saviour was extended cloud coverage, cooling it down.

I had a slight headache and did not have the greatest pace. The terrain was relatively easy, going small ups and downs. Bandit was still asleep when I left, but after 4 hours he caught up with me at a big campground. Even though I love a toilet with a view, I still use the every opportunity I get to use pit toilets. I left the campground before Bandit and did not see him anymore during the day, which is unsual. He usually always goes past me.

I have not seen water fowl on the trail so far, glad to know some exist.

After climbing to the highest point of the day, the trail went through an old burned down forest. The going was flat and easy, and there were clouds that helped to keep the temperature down, but it was dead boring. I met with Nintendo and Just In Case, and few other hikers, but concentrated on my own hike. I chose not to take water from the lakes I went by for the purposes of setting camp in the evening, but aimed to do 32 miles and camp at a creek. Towards the end, I was able to pick up speed.

The boring endless burned down forest.

During the day, I felt tired. Just before arriving to the days campsite, this bit me in the ass. I dropped my camera, and as a result the lens protector does not function properly. Well, otherwise the camera functions so I count myself lucky. I failed also to drink enough. I did eat more than usual, which is good. Lets see if I am able to start gaining the lost weight anytime soon. 

Comments