2018.07.05 - Day #56 - A late start

To PCT mile 1135.8 (stats here).

The night was a bit cold and I was happy that I had had the energy to take my Sawyer Squeeze inside my sleepling bag before falling asleep. I got up 7:10am, and started hiking 7:55am. Bandit had already departed.

I started the downhill hiking fast as I entertained myself with the idea of catching up with Bandit. He is faster so there would be only a slim chance. The scenery for the day proved to be a bit dull, just hiking in forest. Ater the promising start my excitement dwindled.

Not that much pics from trees so far.

The trail was not demanding, as there were lots of shade and the ups and downs were not that steep. I was able to keep a decent pace. On my 3rd break there was a small picnic area where there was mobile reception. Being able to lie down on a bench and do some virtual socializing lifted my spirit a great degree. Small talking to other hikers helped also to boost the morale.

Seeing the already achieved mileage with improved moods made me decide to push for 30 miles. Even though there was a steep climb after my break, I got myself to a good speed. Along the way, I met some fun people. There were Flying Tortoise, Gupsy and Irish that I met few times during the day. There was also Scout that managed to fell on her but in front of me one time. A couple fought each other with humour how much water they should take for their camp, the guy wanting to take little, the girl more. Later I met with a French girl called StarGazer, who carried a bow and a stick that she handled with skill. For some reason, she carried to bow just for fun, not to shoot anything. Funny.

A nice gradual ascent.

I need to start watching the map for water sources again more carefully. I ended up going pass the last water source before camp without taking any, and running out. It was 8 miles to the campsite. That would have been doable as it was not that hot, but luckily a section hiker coming the other way donated some of his water to me so I did not need to go thirsty.

About here I ran out of water.

The last 5 miles of the day were all downhill. As the day was coming to an end, I increased speed and practically ran. It was easy as the trail was even and straight. I ended up doing just 30 miles and to my delight, I noticed that Bandit was camping at the same place. Though, he had arrived there already 2 hours earlier. 

Comments