2018.07.16 - Day #67 - Getting over the angst

To PCT mile 1443 (stats here).

The night was pretty ok even as I was expecting it to be hard because of the other hikers. I was also worried if it would rain but that worry turned out to be for nothing. There was the familiar sound of air matress ruffle, but nothing too serious. I got up 4:30am, and was hiking 5:15am. I wanted to make up some of those lost miles from yesterday's measily small amount of 10.

I found it hard to get motivated and kept thinking about whether it would make sense to quit the whole thing. The terrain was very easy so the pace was still ok. I decided to go to Burney Falls in order to be distracted from my negative mood. The falls were quite impressive, but what really improved my mood was the ice cream I acquired from the general store, and protein bars from the hiker box. There were many high quality bars that I was actually lacking from my food bag. On the way out from the falls I saw Skywalker and by mentioning the well stocked hiker box, got him to check the falls as well. The little things.

The falls were a nice break from the trail.

Against my previous habit, I took my power choco-coffee mix already at my second break. This gave me the needed boost in morale and going uphill after that felt actually pleasurable. The climb was hard in paper, over 2000 feet during 10 miles. During the climb, I saw a familiar face and this time we introduced ourselves. The fellow in question was Magic, and had a similar pace to mine. Oddly, I did not see him anymore after this.

The amount of bridges has increased while going up more north.

When I arrived to my 3rd break spot, I met with Bad Boy, a girl hiker who likes whisky. There were also Nintendo and Just in Case. It was fun to talk whatever, nothing in particular. Just being around people and interacting usually helps for my dark mood. On my 4th break I met with the same people, and the fun conversation continued, this time mostly on popular culture subjects and Witcher, as Nintendo and Just in Case are from Poland.

Mt. Shasta in the distance. With no other peaks near by, it is impressive.

The day was a bit too long, as I wanted to push to do 35 miles. I was setting camp when it was getting dark. Still, I was happy about how the day ended. My camp spot was for once very good. 

Comments