2018.07.01 - Day #52 - Fast hiking and a 30 miler

To PCT mile 1057.5 (stats here).

I slept well in my cowboy camp. I was high enough so that the mosquitos did not bother. I had ignored my alarm and got up few minutes past 5am when other hikers from the same spot departed.

I took a fast pace, partly because I wanted to be at South Lake Tahoe in 3 days. I had made an inventory of my food the previous evening, and rationed the food. It would be 2 cliff bars, 2 oatmeal bags with some nuts and nutritional powder, and a full jar of refried beans and legumes mix with instant smashed potatoes for dinner for each day. That is not nearly enough to satisfy my needed calory consumption. In addition, there would be 2 bags for hot chocolate. Maybe 2500 calories a day. The breakfast was lousy as there was not granola or enough trail mix to make the oatmeal thick enough.
I did not marvel these great views enough today becauser of the fast pace, but it was still good.

The hiking was easy in the beginning with the lightened pack. After 4 hours, the lack of food, maybe partly because of thinking about it too much, started to affect. I am not worried, but as I have lost at least 3 kilos already, losing more weight is far from sustainable.

I met a german hiker named Martin when having my second break of the day. He had started the hike 8 days later than I and had no zeros. There has been lately a surprising amount of people that have not kept a single rest day. I leap frogged with Martin during the day when we kept our beaks at separate times. I also met with Bandit along with a big group of hikers when they were having a break alongside of a highway. I thought how it was a funny place to keep a break and continued a mile from that point to have my break in a nicer environment. I later realised that as it was a trailhead, they were there in a hope of some trail magic. I later learned that they had no luck.

Some cool cliffs. A change in scenery.

Even though the day was tiresome and in the middle of it I did not feel fast, towards the end it became apparent that I could do my first over 30 mile day. The scenary improved, as there were majestic, edgy and rocky mountains. I had a good mood and decided to once again end my hike at the peak of a longish climb, just after 30 miles. The tentsite was unmarked but just perfect. There was nearby a French hiker called Flame, but we did not have time to converse because of the late hour. I set up my cowboy camp and did some massaging for my feet. My right shin had hurted today from time to time. I have neglected all stretching and body maintanence for some time now. Not good.

A view near from my camp site.

Comments