2018.09.14 - Day #127 - Almost there

To PCT mile 2646.2 (stats here).

I got up promptly 5:45am when the alarm went off and started hiking 6:30am. Quite unusual these days. The morning was cold but not wet. I felt motivated as this might be the last full day of hiking before hitting the border. There was anticipation in the air.

There were not that many hikers moving in the early morning. An English man with a name of Basic joined me and we started walking the gravel road towards the trail head for the detour. There was supposed to be a shortcut for the beginning of the detour, but we missed it. I did not mind that much as the gravel road meant easy walking and I was still careful with my feet. Do not get them broken now, just few inches from the finishing line.

After we got to the beginning of the detour, Basic increased speed and disappeared. Smiley Face was successful on finding the shortcut and appeared. I continued hiking with her. We talked about how we feel about the trail ending soon and how it has been in general. It was nice to share some of these feelings. Then it started to lightly snow and it made the landscape up there beautiful.

Some nice flowing ethereal snow. The seasons, they're a'changing.

I feared that the trail would be hard on the detour as it often has been the case. Luckily, the grade was gentle and downhill, and terrain was not that rugged. We managed to keep a decent 2.8 mph pace without me compromising anything with my feet. Once we descended a bit, we were succumbed by a forest. There was not that much to see along the whole length of the detour, but I was happy as my feet were ok and the weather was fine.

I had my rain gear on as it was coldish, but at least it did not rain. I was waiting for the gang of hikers that I've seen a lot the previous days to go past me, but I only saw one of them. Others seemed to sleep in big time. During my second break, Booty and Heiny finally went past me.

The actual PCT goes somewhere up there. The detour did not offer any views, just small openings sometimes where you could glance the bordering hills and mountains.

The detour consisted of two different trails. After the midpoint you turned to the second one. From here on, the trail was much harder. It was uphill, more rugged and full of undergrowth. I reduced my speed. When I stopped for my third break, it started to rain. And after I continued, it started to get harder. It actually was the first time that the rain was really hard. So far, more often than not, the rain has been light.

When the detour finally joined PCT, the rain turned to snow. The trail was now at over 6000 feet and exposed. The wind picked up. Originally, I had thought that I would camp soon after when rejoining the PCT, but this was not gonna be that place. The ground was covered with snow from places, and it was cold. It was starting to be late and it was still 5 miles to a lake where quite many hikers were intending to go. The lake was not that much lower in elevation, but I decided to push there. Maybe on the other side of the pass it would not be this windy.

I was forced to push it and I increased my pace as much as I could. This was in order both to keep warm and to get to the lake before dark. I was afraid that there would be no suitable camping spots anymore. It was a shame that I could not enjoy clear views at the last peak of the PCT before Canada, but this was least of my worries as the conditions seemed to be worsening. I was glad that the next night would be last one here out doors. I hope.

The last night on PCT along this lake? Strangely the picture makes it look not that cold and gloomy.

I arrived to the lake around 7pm. As suspected, it was full of hikers. Booty and Heiny were there. They instructed me where there might be good spots left. I headed for the small patch of trees on the edge of the lake. I found a decent looking spot next to another tent and started to assemble my camp quickly. My fingers were stiff and I still needed to filter water. To my annoyance, after having the tent up, I noticed that the ground was tilted along both axis. On top of that, I could not get the sides of the tents on equal elevation. Well, this was most likely the last night so be it as may, I thought.

My tent was wet but I was able to dry it out with toilet paper. My sleeping bag still functioned well, even as I did not dry it out today either. I had tried to do that feat with the tent, but only with little success. It was only 6.4 miles to the Canadian border now and the PCT Northern terminus. This thing is really gonna end. One more night. One more.

Comments