2018.09.06 - Day #119 - Back to business with okayish results

To PCT mile 2486.7 (stats here).

I got up 7am after not that well slept night. I had eaten way too much the previous day. Because of that, it felt stupid to have your waking up time determined by breakfast. It was late, though, and ready at 7:50am. I had decided to continue hiking today but did not mind that much about the late hour. Roadrunner left right after the breakfast, but I stayed to help with the chores and just to digest the breakfast.

I headed out 9:45am but then stalled at the resort's main lodge an hour utilising the crappy wifi. Once I got moving for real, I did feel that the left feet was not fully okay. The condition was not nearly as bad as before, but feeling it this quickly did not promise anything good. After walking an hour, I stopped to adjust the tapings at the bottom of my feet. During that time, three fast hikers went past me and a short while after, Caribou.

The lakes are now way fewer, and accessibility not that great from the trail. No swimming!

There was not that much to see during the day. It was mostly going up with relatively gentle grade. Once high up, the mountains that contrasted with all the green were impressive, though. I took it steady and decided to do about 20 miles. That meant hiking until dark with my late start. By nothing pushing I was able to keep the feet in check. The pain did not get that much worse during the day. I was relatively happy.

Gorgeous meadows high up. Ah, the serenity!

In addition to the hikers I saw in the beginning, I only saw one other hiker during the day. He was an old Slovak, who camped at the peak spot of the trail. Being a former nuclear physicist, Finland was familiar to him as he had worked in projects happening at Loviisa's nuclear power plant.

The finer shades of grey. It is nice to hike late if it is not too cold or wet.

I decided that my camp spot would be at an open meadow, just after a small stream. I arrived there late and it was dark. When I filtered water, I was not careful enough and tipped some to my backpack. No bigger harm done, though. There was one another tent at the spot, and I decided to cowboy camp. One reason for this was that the sky was completely clear, another that I was tired, third that I wanted to have a faster start for the morning. I suspected that the night could be damp at the meadow, but did not think that further. It felt good anyway today that I was able to get moving. Washington has been so slow for me.

Comments