2018.09.01 - Day #114 - Some pain and some hope

To PCT mile 2427.7 (stats here).

I did not obey my alarm clock as has been the habbit lately. It was wet and foggy outside and felt a bit cold. There was no trouble with the cold during the night. Condensation had found its way to the feet portion of my sleeping back. This has been the case on most nights here on Washington and nothing changed with the new tent. I managed to get up 6:45am and get goint 7:30am. I need to develop a routine to pack the tent. Now I got it even more wet when I stuffed it in to its stuff sack.

It was uphill, rocky and wet in the morning.

I started hiking with feeling pissed and irritated. Not long after, I went past Facepalm who was just about getting moving from his camp. The start of the hike was going up a rocky mountain. There was fog and the visibility was bad. I was treading slowly with a 2 mph and Facepalm soon blazed past me. The weather weas gradually getting better and the views appeared to be great although I did not enjoy them.

After 5 miles of hiking, a downhill to a valley started. During the descent, there were lots of day hikers ascending. Checking Guthooks revealed that there was a trailhead and a parking lot in the valley. Made sense. The weather improved all the time so that had gotten people on the move. Sadly, quite many of the day hikers were unmindful. Long distance hikers are almost always polite, greet each other and make way. Today the majory of day hikers did not give way or even reply to a greeting, or say thanks when given the right of way. I was not just sensitive to this because of my lousy mood as other PCT hikers confirmed this observation later.

During the day, it turnes to sunshine and some happiness.

I did not keep a break until hiking for 5 hours. There was really no chance as I was on a hillside. Also, with a pace like this, I do not feel physically exhausted at all, just mentally tired of managing the pain. I kept my break by a river on a nice spot where I had a chance to dry out the tent, sleeping bag and the ground sheet. Soon a German hiker called Star Wars joined me, and then Wallet and Caribou. I have been seeing Caribou a lot lately which is nice. It is great to see a familiar face. My spirits lifted. Also, I felt that my feet were a bit better.

I had a long break and enjoyed a coffee chocolate mix. 10 minutes after I started hiking, nature called. All this helped to actually having an enjoyable rest of the day. The trail led up from the valley, the views were gorgeous, and my feet were manageable. I saw Star Wars, Wallet, Mango and Caribou every now and then. The ascend was gradual and by stopping every 30 minutes or so to stretch, the feet felt okaye.

Towards the evening, I was a bit greedy.

I was actually doing decent mileage. Not having many breaks has a huge effect. Once on top of the ridge, I decided to descend down to a river before making camp. I wanted to a lower elevation so that it would be not that cold, and do few miles more, maybe even maintain a chance to get to Skykomish on Sunday like originally. I ended up hiking as late as 9pm. I did 26 miles and set up my camp next to Star Wars. The others I met during the day stayed higher up. I was thinking about doing the same as the views were much nicer there with the setting sun and everything, but I was happy to be able to move without that much pain and pushed a bit. I was happy how the day turned out to be. 

Comments