2018.08.31 - Day #113 - Too eager to go

To PCT mile 2402.8 (stats here).

I did not sleep well. The old in-town-ate-too-much adage. I got up 7am and headed down for a breakfast. I had my surplus hiking breakfast soaking for the night so I ate that. It was raining outside. No hurry leaving, although in the back of my head I intended to be in Skykomish on Sunday.

No skills in this game anymore and does not help to burn the calories either!

The rain continued until 1pm, way past what the weather forecast promised. I loitered at the hostel, talking to other hikers, writing the blog entry for previous day, and eating some candy found out from a hiker box. I also played some guitar, table tennis and send messages. The hostel was a great place to hang out, with so much room and activities. There was a new caretaker at the hostel. A nice man called John, but maybe a bit eager to look after everybody. He did find a case of beer somewhere, which is strictly against the rules of the place. It is a shame if one person out of many hundred ruin the possibility for hikers to stay in such an amazing place. He announced if this happens again, the place will be shut down. I did not see anyone drinking beer at the premises.

Feeling no urge to swim anymore with these temperatures.

The rain stopped and I headed out around 2pm. I was wondering if this was reasonable as the WAC hostel was a perfect place to rest, but was too restless to stay. The feet felt pretty ok in the beginning. This did not last long and the right foot started to feel painful after a while. The trail ascended 2000 feet within 7 miles in the beginning. I played with the idea of turning back and resting more. But in the end, just could not mustard the idea of turning and going back.

After 2 hours of walking both feet were hurting. Because of the slow pace, the chilly air felt straight out cold, and I was forced to utilise my rain gear. My mood was lousy. The last moments of the trail and with this physical condition, I cannot enjoy it at all. The weather is also getting more cold and challenging. It would be grand otherwise, but now it feels like a nuisance.

I originally planned to hike 17 miles but my pace was low and motivation even lower, so I stopped after 10 miles. It was the first time for me to set up the new Zpacks tent so I wanted to have enough time with daylight to try it out. I was able to get it up okaye, but now that I had it in a real environment, it felt a bit small. I can not easily sit inside it without my head touching the cealing. Also the fact that it does not have a separate rain fly makes it more likely to get condensation on your stuff. But I will give it more time before passing the final judgement.

It was foggy and rain was in the air, hrr!

Because of the cold and the trail just going up, I did not feel like stopping to filter water for the night. As a result, I ended up having only 3 desiliters at the end of the day. I thought for a while if I make dinner at all, but then ended up using half of the water to soak some for dinner. I learned that 20 minutes is not enough for soaking as for the first time, the beans and legumes were still too hard. My head hit the pillow around 9pm with even more of a lousy mood.  

Comments