2018.05.22 - Day #12 - Great Magic

To PCT mile 209.6 (stats here).

Only nice things when descending where the flowers.

I got up 4:50, a bit later than I would have wanted but I granted this to myself because of the previous days big effort. I was the first the go and said goodbyes to the two at the tentsite. Right from the bat I had some motivational problems. Even though the beginning of the day was just about going down, it was hard. The view were depressive, the interstate looming below with the plain filled with wind turbines. Endless switchbacks and nothing of interest.

When I finally got down, there was a faucet provided by the local watering company. The faucet was swarmed with bees, but as I was low on water, I took some. It tasted awful, full of chlorine. I realised that I was now nearing Cabazon. This was the place the elder hiker I met ways back, Bob, talked about that I could call from here if I wanted some help.  I texted him and he immediately responded that he can pick me up.

A famous trail angel at the underpass.

That really made the day. The walk from the foot of the mountain to the interstate underpass was quite an experience. The wind was really fierce and I lost my footing few times. No wonder they have put all these wind turbines there. When I finally got to the underpass, there was trail magic happening. Famous Mama Bear had her setup there with tables and chairs. Sadly I could not stay as I had a meeting with Bob. I got the PCT bandada nevertheless and a warm hug. As it was so windy, I temporarily lost my glove but was amazingly able to find it even though the terrain was exactly of the same color. I need to remember these strokes of luck when facing some shortcomings.

The author, Liz and Bob at the dinner table.

Bob picked up me with his wife, Elizabeth. I have to say straight away that they are just plainly amazing people, with huge hearts. They drove me to have lunch with them, which they covered, as I was their guest. I had a truly delicious veggie stiletto (or something similar, I forgot the name) with banana bread and sides. We also had coffee, that I have not had at all while on trail. It really gives you a buzz after having a break.

A luxurous setting for a weary traveller.

Bob and Liz have a beautiful home and they shared it with me generously. We had lots of interesting things to talk about. We talked about hiking and Bob's family and career. I was happy to learn about many things about America and politics from them, from a local perspective. In the evening, Bob warmed the jacuzzi by their pool and we sat there and talked until the stars came out. I spend my night in their motor home, which was another unfogettable experience. Before that, Liz prepared a truly tasteful dinner with vegetable patties. Truly a night to remember. I also met their son, and their sons friend.

_Got a chance to spend the night here. Slept like a baby.

A day that did not start that well turned out to be so far one of the most memorable. All thanks to Bob and Liz. The spirit around PCT and hiking communitu here is truly something.

Comments