2018.05.18 - Day #8 - The Big Eat

To PCT mile 161 (stats here).

I woke up a bit past 3am when other people at our tent site started to dismantle their camps. Obviously they wanted to reach Paradise Valley Cafe for their famous breakfast. I just wanted more rest so did not think about this further. We got up at usual 4:40am, and only then realised that it would have been a nice goal to aim for the brekkie. They stop serving it 10:45am, which was now impossible to reach.

I headed out a bit before Mikko as he has a strict routine of taking a dump before leaving. I concentrated on my walking and tried to get my hiker suffle working. It went well and I did not feel that much pain in my left feet. The terrain was soft and easy. I expected Mikko catch me up, but that did not happen until 1h 40min when I stopped to chat with Auston who was drying out his sleeping bag, wet from condensation.

Somew drying business.

After 2 hours it was time to stop to change the socks, eat some brekkie and get my feet up. Mikko did not need a break so he blazed forward. We agreed to meet at Paradise Cafe. It was not long when Auston caught up with me and we kept leap frogging each other for the rest of the day. He is a young marathon runner, going under 3 hours in that department and thus in great shape.

An oasis in the middle of the desert.

After having my second break 10am, I felt the urge of hitting the shitter, but decided to push on to do that business in the Cafe. It was a lucky decision as just 2 minutes later I encountered a resting stop called Mary's that had a proper outhouse in the middle of nowhere. The price of the stop was that I lost an ear bud from my headphones. Even though I know exactly where I dropped it, I couldn't find it. I consider this a fair deal from lightening my load. Although it is no good for the "leave no trace" - reason.

My pace was getting lower after 13 miles or so, as the pain in my feet increased a bit. When Auston went past me, I made an effort to stick with him and we reached the highway together. We called a ride to the Cafe, as they did this for free for paying customers. Going there is no official part of the PCT so no issue with the ride. Mikko had already enjoyed his vegan burger, and continued the hike short after. I spend all in all two hours at the place. The burger was ok, but maybe not worth the reputation.

A famous burger joint among PCT hikers. Missed the brekkie, though.

My stomach full of food, and three refills of cola, I walked very wearily back to PCT and continued listening to the audiobook version of Wool. The day was at its hottest. As there was much climbing ahead, I did not expect to do high mileage today. The idea that Mikko was now going ahead of me with his own pace, relaxed my going also.

So far I have felt a need to push it as I have been by far the slower of the two of us. I met couple day hikers along the way, and as the day cooled off, and especially as the food started to digest, I started to increase my pace. I noticed the miles go pass and opted to pass many decent tent sites. At the end, as I did not check the map, I chose to skip the most reasonable option for setting up camp. Therefore I ended up arriving to one when it was already dark. Going up a steep mountain is not that pleasant in the dark.

They're big! And all over.

The same site was also occupied by the taiwanese hiker that Mikko departed with. He is a really light and fast hiker, who started PCT one day later than us. Feeling relieved that I reached the site just as it was really dark, I set my camp feeling good. The coming night felt warm enough to cowboy camp without problems. We were at about 5000 feet.

Comments