2018.05.15 - Day #5 - Happy feet

To PCT mile 91.2 (stats here).

I got up at 4:40am, with the thought of writing a blog before meeting with Ghost. This ended up as just an idea, as setting up gear took all the time (I am writing this on day #9 from my notes while having a first zero). The check out time was 11am, and I needed to get my pack ready for Mikko to get it out if the trip for shoes would take longer.

The new and the old shoes. Should have chosen trail runners from the get go.

Ghost was at the meeting point with other hikers sharply at 7am. He does this a lot, just driving around the area during hiking season, giving lifts to hikers in need, checking if somebody have problems, giving advice. We went to the trail head to drop off people, and then continued to Warner Springs, where I would hike tomorrow with Mikko. The outfitter was located at the Resource Center, in a trailer. The gear selection was okay, and the prices a bit expensive. Nevertheless, I found big enough Altra Lone Peaks that felt great on my feet. Almost everyone uses Altras on the trail. They are a trail running shoes. I was wondering if I should get a model with more cushioning, but there were no size 16. I also ended up buying fingerless gloves, water filtration bag, sun screen and electrolytes.

We got back to Julian before 11am, so I had time to sort out my gear a bit more. Mikko had took me some breakfast from the hotel that I missed. I put my old shoes, my previous filtering pouch, hiking towel and an extra puff in addition to the previously sorted stuff to the mailbox that we sent away. Mikko mailed away his gimbal and a microphone as it was apparent that it was too much to utilize those during the hike.

Julian is good to hikers. I got a free cider and a bag of trail mix.

Before getting out of town, we got a free pie and a trail mix bag from Mom's Pies and Cider House. They support hikers this way. The pizza and change of diet caused problems with Mikko's stomach and he needed to empty his bowel six times before we were able to hitch hike back to the trail head.

Our first ever hitch was a splendid one. It took about 10 minutes before getting a ride. We got that from a former Nintendo employee, who had been in a same meeting with Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto. How cool is that, says nerd to another. The 20 minute ride was a delight.

Our very first hitch, ever.

We started hiking about 2:30pm. During the worst heat. But the cold front was still on and it was not unbearable. Ascending with an easy pace, as I did not want to push it with just treated blisters and new shoes, was fun. We met few hikers, and exchanged some words. The goal was to reach a water source so that we would not need to dry camp. Beging far away, I was thinking we would not reach it. Then, two young hikers, named Young Beard and Andrew catched up with us while having a break, and told us they have the same goal. We continued before them, and as it started to get dark, and Mikko wanted to push on, I agreed to push on to the source in the dark. This was partly motivated by the improved situation with my feet, the nice cool air, and a stupid competitive spritit. I did not want the group of other hikers to go past us. Not the wisest thing to do with new shoes. We blazed really fast, close to 6 km/h and arrived to almost fully occupied tent site around 9:15pm.

It was a nice experience goind down the mountain in the dark. Felt almost like running. This was the first night I cowboy camped. It was really warm and there was no wind to speak of. Weather permitting, this was the way to do it from now on. Sleeping under the starry sky is something different.

Comments

  1. What adventures! Envious of you meeting Nintendo employee. Cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment