2018.05.13 - Day #3 - Feet problems

To PCT mile 59.8 (stats here).

Some cowboy camped but it was too windy for me.

The night was windy and I felt a bit cold. I utilised the sleeping bag liner the first time and was happy to have it. The alarm rang 4:30am, and Mikko andf I left before the sunrise. Everybody else were still sleeping. The group also told yesterday that they would visit the nearby town before hitting the trail. Using the campground toilet made our leaving slow, so we were on the trail about 5:30am.

My shoulder felt fine as I did not take so much water, and some of the food was already eaten. The blisters were getting bigger on the sides of the big toes, and also my right feet hurted from the top. Feels like a tendon is getting pressure, or that the shoe is too tight. Obviously the shoes are not working. It is not just a matter of getting used to them. My pace has been slow because of that. Otherwise it feels that walking the whole day is not a problem.

One of the nicest views of the trail so far.

We had our first really amazing sight when coming to a ridge with a view towards a mountain range. Few pictures was taken, not much more because of the strong wind. But it also made me question a bit how reasonable such a hike is as you just blaze through of all these wonderful places where you could spend days instead of minutes.

The pain in my right feet increased and demanded a more careful walking and rest stops. We kept the habit of taking a break every 10km. I still have the numbers in my watch and phone in metric units, but I really should change them to imperial ones. That would make syncing with everything else easier. At 20km, we hit a water cache that was marked not to be that reliable. Fortunately we found it well stocked, and also with more trail magic. Hummingbird, a previous year PCT hiker, had left a case of cold colas there.

A surprise water cache and colas!

This was the first night when we actually camped along the trail and not on a camp site. This happened between ridges, which was quite windy. It was warm when we got there at 6pm, so we thought to cowboy camp. Mikko did, but as I did not have that much cover from the wind, I ended up setting up my tarp. I was contemplating with the idea of puncturing my blisters, but ended up not to. I have no experience in that and would want to do it in a clean environment. And I am starting to get really dirty. 

Comments

  1. Poor feet. Hope they get happy.
    Cowboy camping sounds nice. Wonder if you can see alot more stars there...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment